Mental and Physical Crest

Techno had a plan for the rest of the day. They would drive through Anaheim and Hollywood and stop at a few shops. Then they would head to Big Bear through Angeles Crest, so they could see LA from the mountains.

First stop would be donuts in Anaheim.

Techno glanced back at Tommy, who was laughing at memes with Wilbur. He really hoped he would eat a donut.

——————

Wilbur had enjoyed the ride back through the canyon park, but now they were in the city. He was conflicted.

On one hand, look at the architecture! And all these different people! Look at the types of stores and birds!

On the other hand, omg someone just peed on that wall. Is the sky... redder? Where is the sun? Those people are definitely sick. Those people are definitely miserable.

They passed the tent city.

Wilbur liked Anaheim, really. It was cool, from inside a car. But the cool factor was brought down by every threat to health cities usually have to offer. He supposed that's simply how California would be. At least there's parks.

Techno pulled into a small strip mall. It had an auto shop at one end, a donut shop in the middle, and a panderia at the other end.

None of the snacks had been touched yet and they were all hungry, so they wasted no time in getting out of the car.

"Donuts? Is this place good?"
"I like them. Really I just know the owners and it's less socially awkward here but the donuts are good too."

Wilbur decided he'd get a donut. The panderia next door seemed like a better place to go in a foreign country. Donuts? Could get in England. Whatever was in the sweet bread place? Could not get in England.

"Tommy, come with me next door. I wanna try new stuff."
"Uhhh do I have to? Do I get a choice?"
"Yes, you have to, no, you don't get a choice. Come on."

Tommy followed Wilbur into the panderia with absolutely zero interest. He was sure the "sweet bread place" would contain just as many calories as a donut, and he really didn't want a donut.

Upon walking into the store, two things were obvious. One, Wilbur was gonna have to pull his knowledge of Spanish together, and two, Tommy did not want a single thing to eat from there.

Shelves were lined with all sorts of delicious looking pastries. Flattish rolls with pink and white lines frosting the tops, slices of cake with thin white frosting and sprinkles, slices of cake without toppings, muffins, jelly filled rolls, and that.

Tommy had never seen anything like it. It was a ball of sugar. Two sphere halves of cake, coated in frosting, stuck together and rolled in enough sugar for a heart attack.

It looked amazing.

Tommy was definitely not eating that. That would be his calorie intake for a week. No way. Everything here looked extremely high in calories. Nothing was "safe" to eat in his eyes. It'd all make him gain weight.

Wilbur loaded a tray with various breads and two of the sugar balls. He looked back at Tommy and his excitement fell. Tommy look scared. He was looking around the shelves and hugging himself. Then he realized Wilbur was looking at him and completely changed.

He dropped his arms and straightened his back. He flashed a smile.

"Is that all you're getting?"
"...yeah. Are you getting anything?"

Tommy faltered. His smile dropped for a moment but he brought it back and tilted his head back.

"Mmm no. I don't think I will. I'm not really hungry and we have snacks in the car."
"Tommy..."
"No, please don't say anything. Please."