chapter fourteen

Penny

I'm utterly fucked.

Ever since Saturday night I've been on edge. Possibly from the continuous thought that Mr. Bridger somehow knows that I've basically screwed any more chances at getting information out of Ryland. Or that handsome elevator stranger who has been on my mind more than I'd like to admit.  I can't be sure what I'm more caught up on, but my mind hasn't stopped turning.

I need to keep myself on track; my mother's voice has been on a constant loop in my mind all morning, reminding me to get organized, keep my head focused on our goal.

My goal.

Over the past few weeks, I haven't been as focused on my studies as I should have been... if I would have been back home—no not my home. If I would have been with my mother, then that would be the only thing I'd be able to think about. With her constant nagging which has somehow followed me and my subconscious all the way to New York. And now, with her voice constantly at the back of my mind reminding me about how I'm going to be late for my first major practice at the Academy.

As I said, I'm utterly fucked.

There's no time to run down to the subway since I've calculated that I'll be around 30 minutes late with the early morning rush hour traffic that's bound to keep the trains completely backed up on an early Monday morning in downtown Manhattan.

Rushing out of my apartment building I flick Denzel off as I sprint past him towards the main street where all of the cabs are whizzing by. I can hear Denzel's deep laugh following down the street as I run by quickly with my duffle bag clutched to my chest, holding it against me like it's my newborn child.

I skid to a stop at the intersection and look down the road hoping to see a yellow taxi coming towards me.

I check the time on my phone, which shows 7:38.

I curse myself for sleeping through my five alarms this morning. Thinking back to the last few nights after the masquerade, I remind myself that it wasn't my smartest idea to binge the new Netflix original show while being stuck on the couch in between Brooke and Marlee for the entire weekend stuffing ourselves with microwave popcorn. But we did manage to watch the entire show so I'd call that a win.

I let out a breath as I hail down an approaching cab. It slows down next to me and I pull open the door quickly sliding into the back seat placing my duffle bag down next to me while telling the driver where to take me. He nods glancing back at me through the rearview mirror before turning back to the road and setting off down the street.

Denzel had offered to take me wherever I needed to go but I didn't want to make it a common occurrence to ask him for help. Because asking him for help would mean bringing Enzo further into my life whether I meant to or not, I knew that wherever Denzel was he was only around because Enzo had ordered him to be there.

And I could get myself where I wanted to go on my own. I'm a strong independent woman, who doesn't need to be dependent on every man who offers to drive me places and has a personal car.

I internally facepalm because I realize that today should be an exception seeing as how Denzel could have probably gotten me there sooner than this Taxi driver whose dark beard is greying at the edges. He eyes are tired as they observe the busy traffic ahead of us, which is surprising since it's only 8 in the morning but he's probably tired of driving people around this crazy city, I know I would be.

I check the time once more, panic setting in when I see that it's 7:46 and I need to be changed and ready for practice at 8 am. I close my eyes and lean my head against the headrest, my foot absentmindedly tapping against the back of the plush seat.