Clipped Wings

Shisui and I stood on the back decking of Itachi’s home, glaring at the sight before us. It was tradition for the head of the clan to partake in an arranged marriage with a worthy female occupant. Fugaku and Mitoko watched with beaming eyes as Itachi stood on the white stone pebbles awaiting his bride.

“I can’t believe Dobe got hoodwinked into this,” Shisui murmured to me and folded his arms. “I swear if I ever have to go through this, not even knowing the girl I’m going to spend the rest of my life with, I’m leaving the village.”

“Hn, I agree,” I muttered.

Shisui and I were in our late twenties and had come back from squad duties as Jonnin. It was nearing sunset and the bright red lanterns couldn’t be appreciated until the blanket of stars were unrolled in the sky.

Shisui’s black curls hung over his bear forehead since he grew them out, we weren’t dressed for a wedding because we didn’t condone such idiocy. Shisui just wore his black ninja skins, pants, bandages and sandals and I did the same. I let my hair outit was short and jutted out in haphazard spikes like a pixie cut that only came to my ears.

If I had to keep watching Itachi wait at the makeshift altar in his finest robe, I would use my maroon headband as a blindfold. I couldn’t stand it anymore. He didn’t even know the girlbut I did, and that’s what made the marriage hurt all the more.

Well, I didn’t know her personally, but it was the same first branch girl that Shisui tried to invite to the Equinox Ball. Nezume Uchiha was no fine candidate for Itachi’s hand, both Shisui and I agreed on that. Nezume wasn’t trained in combat, didn’t affiliate with nature chakra, she wasn’t proficient in Medical Ninjutsu nor was she smart.

Yes, she had the beauty of the first branch, but looks wouldn’t save your life in the world of shinobi. Infact, having startling good looks could get you killed. However, Itachi wouldn’t listen to his two childhood best friendshe didn’t even personally invite us to the ceremony, Fugaku did. Shisui believed it was some kind of ploy to ruin the golden trio forever.

Little did Fugaku know that Itachi had shattered everything about our friendship as soon as he proposed the ‘arranged union’. Shisui and I were busy with our Jonnin squads so we spent more time together, whereas Itachi began to recluse in the compound and when we did dote on himItachi would become hostile and lock us out of his home.

“What do you say we get out of here and grab some Nigiri?” Shisui leaned against the post of the decking, his Mangekyou bright against the stark white of his face. “Seriously Etsu–Chan, I don’t understand why you still think we can salvage something with Dobe.”  

“I don’t get why you’re giving up on this friendship,” I looked up at Shisui with cold eyes.

We’d grown so much, I probably would’ve ended up with Itachi since Shisui had no plans of settling down until a devastating injury would befall him, but Itachi decided against my vow of promise to him and shacked up with Nezume Uchiha The Worthless Runt.

It really hurt to be ignored; Itachi was acting exactly like my parents, as if I wasn’t a person. Instead of coming out to train with me and Shisui in our spare time off missions, Itachi would be having tea with Nezumethe Itachi I knew wouldn’t have done that.

“Dobe has made his decision, he doesn’t want to stick around and be our friend so why should we keep waiting like dogs doting on their master?” Shisui harshly whispered.

“I don’t give up Shi–Kun, you should know that by now,” I turned towards Itachi who looked rather anxious as he stood beside his parents. I couldn’t help but smirk, I hope Nezume stood him up.