» 79 «

"Are you going to avoid me like you've been avoiding Harry now?" Wren asked as she sat down next to me, her arm around my shoulders.

I scooted over to the left a little, making more space for her at the table; hoping she would take the hint as she was pretty much sitting on my lap at this point.

"No," I sighed, taking another bite of my dinner with an eye roll.

"That could've been anyone who would've walked in on you doing god knows what," She warned, her finger in the air. "Just get a room or something."

I huffed, glaring at her even though she wasn't even looking at me. Her attention was entirely focused on the mountains of food in front of her. "I'm just saying," She grinned. "I'd be able to clear out the dorm for a few hours. Don't worry about the girls-" She continued, clearly amused.

"-Just shut up," I hissed, annoyed, though I couldn't keep myself from smiling for much longer. I hit her shoulder playfully but made sure to warn her never to bring this up again.

"I don't think that'll be possible. I'm your best friend, after all, that's what I'm here to do," She said.

"What? Utterly humiliate me?"

"Exactly."

I rolled my eyes, an exaggerated sigh leaving my lips.

"What are you two bickering about?" Blaise was seated a few seats to my left. When I sat down those seats were still occupied, but by now they had cleared out, making it easy for the boy to scoot over.

He was sitting right next to me now; his voice amused as he asked.

Wren struggled to keep the laughter to herself, making me send another glare her way before turning back around to face him.

"Oh, just Wren being the absolute worst friend you could ask for," I hummed lightly, a smile on my lips as she hit my chest.

"Shut up! You know that's not true," She giggled, her eyebrows raised in amusement.

Blaise watched us, an equally amused expression on his face as he listened.

"Wouldn't have anything to do with, uh, that?" His eyes were focused on my neck, pointing to a spot on his own one.

I cursed myself, knowing exactly what he was talking about. I covered the bruise with makeup just after it happened this morning. It couldn't have already worn off, could it?

"That?" I shook my head, my own hand pointing at where I assumed the hickey to be. "No, it has nothing to do with that. It's just a-"

"-A hickey?" He asked sarcastically, an eyebrow raised. I huffed in defeat, though didn't say anything else. "I didn't know you and Draco were, like, official," He wondered out loud, his eyes locked with mine.

I furrowed my brows at his thoughts, and shook my head slowly. "Well, we're not," I clarified - making me wonder why we weren't. Should we be? Was he seeing other people? Did I want to see other people?

I shook my head, quicker this time, to rid myself of my own thoughts. "We're not," I repeated, louder this time.

"That's good to know." He nodded, more to himself than anyone in particular, and then got up. He had finished eating before even coming over, so it only made sense he'd leave sooner or later. "I better get going, still got something to take care of. I'll see you two around." He threw Wren another look, a casual smile on his lips, and then took off.

"Jeez, that guy is head over heels," She burst out as soon as he left the hall; almost like she had a hard time keeping it to herself until now in the first place.

"What on earth are you talking about?" I turned towards my best friend, her eyebrows raised.

"Seriously? I knew you were oblivious to these things when you didn't even notice I was crushing on you, but- 'That's good to know', really, Y/n?" She sighed, rubbing her temples with a disappointed look on her face. "It's like he wants you to know, and you-" She interrupted herself with a groan.

"You don't actually think-"

Impossible. We were good friends, and that was that.

"I don't think, I know," She clarified. "The sad thing is he probably thinks he has a chance with you now. A shame you're in love with Malfoy-"

"I'm supposed to be what now?" I quickly interrupted, vigorously shaking my head. "Absolutely not."

"Come on now, we both know what you smelled in that Amortentia," She said with a smirk on her lips, an eyebrow quirked.

"So what? That doesn't mean I'm in love with him." My cheeks were probably a bright red by now, even though I tried my best to keep the colour away.

"Of course it doesn't mean that," She huffed amused. "You are, though."

"Just shut up. You've been annoying enough today," I mumbled, shooting her another glare. She laughed out loud once, but before she could say anything else, our attention was caught by a singular owl flying into the hall.

It wasn't unusual for owls to come by during meal times, though that meal was usually breakfast. And not dinner.

Its feathers were a mixture of a dark and light brown, the eyes a fiery orange as it searched the room for the recipient. It made a go for the Slytherin table right away, circling above our heads for a round or two.

I was sure whoever the letter was for, they must've already left. It wouldn't take an owl this long to recognise the recipient.

What I didn't expect was the letter falling right into my lap. It startled me slightly, and I wondered whether the animal just made a simple mistake. Mistakes could happen, right?

But before I knew it, the bird was out and gone again. Leaving me with a mysterious letter in my lap.

It took me a while to recognise why it looked so familiar to me. A matte black envelope with a dark green wax seal. Draco Malfoy written on the back of it. The handwriting was poor; not nearly as neat as Draco's was.

My hand subconsciously grabbed the necklace he gave me that day. I still wore it every day, even though most of the time, it was tucked under my uniform.

I twisted and turned the dark envelope in my hand, trying to find a hint from who it might have been from. But there was nothing but his name on there.

"See, even the fucking owl knows it."

A/N: Not going live tomorrow because its gonna b my birthday lol next week tho! See you then! (This was kind of a filler, hope you still liked it.) x