12

Jay's thoughts were gnawing at her insides as she exited her room. She had been thinking for so long she didn't realize the time. Her thoughts had consumed her, one leading to another in her whirlpool of emotions as she fought back the urge to say what she was thinking out loud. This only led to more concerns to build up. And with no one to talk to, she felt like she was drowning in everything. She felt alone.

She reached the kitchen, where she heard Brennan rummaging through the fridge. He was cooking some food on the stove, causing her stomach to grumble with hunger. He looked to her with humor in his eyes. "Someone's hungry."

Jay looked at the food that was being cooked. "But this is actual food. Don't you only drink blood?"

Brennan shook his head while smiling, pulling out some garlic from the fridge. "We can still eat. But we also need to have a healthy balance of blood in our diet."

"Garlic?" Jay eyes the bundle of cloves warily.

He merely chuckled at her skeptical behavior. "You read too much into folklore that isn't real. Garlic is not our weakness." He broke open the cloves and diced them into fine pieces.

Jay sat on a stool that was underneath the kitchen island, watching as he maneuvered around the kitchen. Her thoughts swarmed her once again, distracting her from what was going on in front of her. There was too much to think about as she riffled through her concerns.

"You look like you're thinking hard on something," Brennan said as he stirred something in a pan. It sizzled, and the steam rose in deliciously scented clouds. "Want an ear to listen?"

Jay thought about it. She would have to voice her concerns eventually. And she would rather do that now than later.

"Well," Jay started, thinking on what to say first. "I..."

"Go on," Brennan said as he moved to another pot that was bubbling ferociously.

Jay pursed her lips, realizing what she had to say would sound completely irrelevant to him. "It's nothing."

"Liar," Brennan said, meeting her gaze. He threw a piece of lettuce at her, which landed on her chest. Rolling her eyes, she threw it back at him, to which he caught it in his mouth.

"I just," She started again. "I'm concerned about my schooling." She cringed, hating what she said. "I don't want to become a highschool dropout. I want good grades." She was mumbling low, but she knew he could hear her.

"That's what you're thinking about." She regretted saying anything at all as she looked into Brennan's humorous eyes.

She glared at him. "Forget it. It obviously doesn't matter."

He shook his head, stopping what he was doing to fully look at her. "It does matter. I just didn't think you'd be thinking of your schooling with everything that you're dealing with." She remained silent as Brennan moved around in the kitchen. "We have just under a month until your next semester begins." He turned to her. His eyes showed that he was thinking of what she said. "If you think you're ready to go back by then, I won't stop you. But Jay," He said with a new seriousness reaching his expression. Trills of heated ice rolled around her skin as she looked into his eyes. "You have to hide what you are. If too many people know, then word will travel fast about you. It could put you into far more danger than you even know."

Jay unconsciously nodded her head at his words. She was just happy that he was thinking about that idea. At least she had someone on her side. Her hope was ruined as Kieran entered the room, his face supporting a scowl.

"You honestly think that's a good idea?" His eyes went from Jay and back to Brennan. "There's no way that you're going back to school." Kieran's words caused Jay to growl. Kieran gave her a pointed look. "See. You don't know what control is."