Chapter Fifteen | Riding

JAMES BRUSHED THE mare's mane as he waited for Vivienne to return. He could not believe his eyes when the lady arrived wearing her regular day gown instead of a riding habit. Even before she placed a single step into the stables, he sent her back to change in more appropriate clothing. He was sure the modiste must have left at least one riding habit prior to her departure, his aunt had hinted that much last night. James would not be held responsible for another incident concerning her.

He was still in quite some shock that Aunt Esme had given her approval of him teaching Vivienne. James thought for sure she would talk about the impropriety of them being alone but once he explained the reasons as to why it was beneficial for Vivienne to learn (not making a fool out of herself if a gentleman asked her on a ride of course) his aunt had agreed.

After told Vivienne Aunt Esme's response, she was ecstatic and for the rest of the night he'd viewed her smiling from time to time. However, James had a feeling she would be smiling less than she expected once her lessons began.

James had spoken to his grooms, and they had agreed to stay out of their sight for the duration of her lesson. The last thing Vivienne needed was an extra pair of eyes on her. James knew it was much more difficult to learn how to ride a horse at Vivienne's age rather than a young child because fear existed. Children did not fear much. They leapt at the chances, sparkling at everything that came their way. As one grew older, the possibilities of dangers grew more apparent, developing the seed of hesitancy in every task a gentlemen or lady took.

Vivienne's soft voice broke him out of his thoughts, "I'm back, Your Grace."

He spun around to see her in a dark blue riding habit, with a black hat securing her hair back. He cleared his throat, "Good," gesturing to the mare he introduced her, "this is Honeysuckle."

James watched as Vivienne hesitated to approach Honeysuckle and there was a brief instance of fear that crossed her eyes before she seemingly pushed it away. It hadn't crossed his mind that she might be a bit fearful of horses after her incident with Noir. He sighed internally; these lessons would be taking much longer than he expected. However, if the rest of the things went as planned, he would be able to pawn her off to another trainer to teach her everything else she needed to learn.

"She won't bite," James said gruffly and the look that Vivienne shot him made it evident that she did not believe him for a second.

James didn't have the patience to wait for Vivienne to warm up to the horse so instead he grabbed one of her gloved arms and guided it through Honeysuckle's mane. The slight gasp was the only sound evident from her as she didn't move away from his touch either. Once he was sure she wouldn't spook away, he swiftly removed his hand from atop of hers.

He watched as Vivienne continued running her gloved hand through the mare's mane, "I told you she was quite gentle."

A smile crept onto Vivienne's lips, "so you did."

James left her with the horse for a moment as he went to grab a mounting block for her. When he returned, Vivienne's gaze went straight to the object within his hands, "What is that Your Grace?"

James dropped the block beside her, and it hit the stable floors with a loud thump. It was a testament to how well-trained Honeysuckle was as she didn't even bat an eyelash at the noise.

"Now that we've gotten over your fear of horses, it's time for you to mount the mare."

James took the next few minutes explaining exactly how Vivienne would use the stepping block to mount the horse, "If anything happens, I'll be there to catch you," he promised.