Chapter 7

Nolan stood in the elevator and stared at the results of the blood work. It didn't make sense. None of it made sense. Less than a week ago, Maddox Kincaid was dying. Not just from multiple bullet wounds, but from the donor blood that was toxic to him. At least it should have been toxic to him. He had none of the symptoms expected from a regular transfusion patient, let alone what Nolan expected from his initial blood work. He should have a high fever, low blood pressure, difficulty breathing. There were a dozen other symptoms he should have but didn't. He was... fine? He still complained of pain from the bullet wounds, but who wouldn't?

He glanced up as the doors opened and saw the young Doctor Rehan at the desk, tugging at the ends of her hijab and chewing her lip in thought. She glanced his way and straightened. "You are seeing the same results I am, right?" she asked, jabbing at the tablet in front of her.

"Good morning to you too, Faiza," he forced a smile and dropped the file next to her. "Yes, I am seeing the same results as you. Before you ask, no, it's not a lab error. We ran it three times."

"It doesn't make sense." She sighed. "He shouldn't be doing as well as he is. If we forget the blood thing, he should still be having more symptoms. He suffered a major shock and went through one hell of a surgery. The surgeon had to take out a part of his liver and his lung collapsed. Have you seen his latest C.T.?" she barrelled on without waiting for a response. "His lungs are perfect. Pristine condition. His liver? Almost back to full functionality. It will take some time for it to grow back, but I have a feeling it won't take as long as a normal human. I've only seen this kind of healing in Ancients." She glanced sideways at him. "And they're usually the more powerful Ancients. Even a vampire would have a hard time with a wound like that."

"An Ancient?" Nolan snorted derisively. "In that family? Not a chance in hell."

"I suppose you're right." she rolled her eyes. "I had to explain to the father three times that we employ based on qualifications, not race, and that asking for a non-ancient physician or nurse is not appropriate. Have you met the godfather yet? Now there is a man with serious issues."

"Understatement of the millennia. I had to threaten to get security when the patient wanted him out. He looked like he might call me on it, too."

Faiza sighed before turning and leaning against the desk. She stared down the hall towards Maddox's room. "Are you sure there isn't any magic in his blood?" she asked thoughtfully.

"Pretty sure. Nothing came up in the initial testing, but it wouldn't pick up on some of the more subtle stuff. I would have to do an extensive study of his history and bloodwork."

"What about transference?"

Nolan was a little impressed by the knowledge of this young human doctor. He made a mental note to check where she attended medical school. "Its... possible." He said slowly. "But from who? Not the family. He doesn't have a significant other, does he?"

"Not from what I've seen or heard. What about the sister? Isn't she adopted? Could she have some level of magic?"

Nolan hesitated. He hadn't exactly ruled it out. It was just a matter of what. The "light walkers", as humans called elves, fae, and a handful of other select Ancients, couldn't have red hair. The "night stalkers", like vampires and lycanthrope, wouldn't take a job that had a chance of working into the daylight. She had legs up to Canada, so she couldn't be a dwarf. Succubi had incredibly powerful magic focussed entirely on getting men into bed. It would explain her scent and affect on him. But if she were half blood, or even less than that, she wouldn't be able to pass as human for long. She also wouldn't have submitted to giving her blood. Fuck, he should never have incinerated it.