4 || frozen yogurt

"Are you gonna tell us why you blew us off on Sunday?" Cady asked, twirling her spoon around her finger as we left the frozen yogurt shop. I balanced my fro-yo on top of another container I had gotten for Peter (which I told my friends was for my parents which they sort of believed), the small spoon gripped in my mouth.
"If I did, you wouldn't believe me," I replied, and Julie and Cadence laughed.
Not a joke.
"Come on, what was the real reason?" Cady pried.
"Yeah, what are you, sick of us?" Julie teased, nudging me with her elbow. I laughed, racking my brain for excuses they would believe.
"Of course I'm not sick of you," I assured them, taking another bite. "My mom was spending all day at work and my dad's family is coming over this weekend and so we needed to clean." Julie and Cady nodded, even though I felt as if I was lying through my teeth.
The truth was I had spent the day teaching Peter all about what our dimension was like and he told me all about his (very, very different from the movies, but who am I to judge).
"We are still on for our Marvel watch party this weekend, right?" Julie asked, and I nodded. I'm sure Peter would not be thrilled with another night of sleeping in my closet, but that wasn't my problem. Well, it kind of was.
"Good, because I can't wait to watch Civil War again." Cady said excitedly. She was the most outgoing of the three of us, and Julie and I usually let her do most of the talking. "I mean, that's the first time we see Peter!" I almost laughed, wishing I could tell her that he was watching movies in my bedroom closet.
"I don't like that movie. Everybody's fighting and separated... yuck." Julie shook her head. "I mean, of course it's a good movie and all, but..." I looked down at the ground, smiling, thinking about the stories Peter told me of how he got recruited and how he trained with Natasha and Rhodey. There's only so much they can fit into a single movie, and Peter's stories were so much more vivid.
"I dunno, I like it. It's good. Peter's cute." I said quietly, and Cady looked at me, a winning smile on her face.
"So you think Peter's cute!" She said excitedly. "What made you change your mind?" I sighed.
He's incredibly cute and he's living in my house.
"Who knows," I decided after a moment of thinking on it. "Maybe I just didn't realize it before."
"Well, I'm glad you've come to your senses," Cady said, finishing off her frozen yogurt before chucking the container into a nearby trash can. "I was seriously worried for a second."
"We both were." Julie agreed, and we laughed. I checked the time on my phone.
Shit.
"Sorry guys, I have to go," I apologized. I told Peter I would be home by 4:30 and I was already ten minutes late. Cady pouted.
"Why?"
"My Dad is only home for an hour before he has to go back to the hospital," I explained. "So if I want to see him, I gotta act quick." Julie and Cady smiled in understanding.
"Okay," Cady said reluctantly. "See you tomorrow?" I nodded.
"Bright and early," I replied, waving to them as I ran home, holding the fro-yo container with both hands as I bounced up and down the block.
I unlocked the front door, raced upstairs, and knocked four times on the bedroom door, my secret code to let Peter know it was me. It swung open to reveal a very angry Peter, frown and all.
"You're late," He said, a twinge of bitterness in his voice.
"You're crashing at my house so I can get you back to your own dimension," I countered. "I can be late." He rolled his eyes, smiling. I passed him the extra spoon and container of fro-yo. He looked down at it.
"What's this?"
"Frozen yogurt," I replied, putting down my backpack. "I went with my friends and thought you might like some." Peter smiled at my thoughtfulness, glancing down at the bright pink cup. He opened it, taking a bite.
"This is really good, y/n. Thank you." He mumbled, his mouth full of cookies and cream fro-yo. I gave a small smile and a quick nod in response.
"Okay, we better get to work," I said, breaking the silence as I sat down at my desk. Peter came up behind me, still holding the cup of half eaten frozen yogurt.
"Did you figure out how to get me home yet?" He asked.
"Nope," I responded in a much cheerier voice than the situation called for. Peter sighed and I did, too. "Look, I don't know how to get you home! I'm gonna try to figure it out, but you're smart. We could use all the help we could get."
"Like your friends?" Peter suggested, and I rolled my eyes.
"Peter, I told you I didn't want to get them involved." I repeated, and he groaned.
"Come on, y/n! We need them. You just said we need all the help we could get, so what's the harm?" Though he brought up a good point, there was a large part of me that wanted to say no. I felt oddly possessive of him and didn't want to share in the spotlight with my friends, despite the fact that I loved them and my brain was more than eager to show them.
"Fine." I said finally, and Peter burst into a grin. "But we're gonna need a plan."