43| Trouble

I can't believe what I've done, how naughty I've become

I can't believe what I've done, how naughty I've become. But I guess that it did work. It seems that Jake really liked it.

It might not have replaced all of those horrible thoughts in his nightmares, but I just wanted to let him know how much he made me feel good, and how much I wanted him to feel so.

I step out of my bathroom and head to my closet to get ready for my morning shift at the book store. After I change into a pair of jeans and a white off-the-shoulder long sleeves top, Jake comes into my room, wearing only his boxers, still shirtless.

He hugs me from behind and places butterfly kisses on my neck, making me giggle.

"Jake," I whisper.

"Okay, okay," he mumbles. "I don't want to make you late for work."

I sigh.

"Just, let me ask you one question," he whispers in my ear. "That night when I finally remembered you, you told me that you liked me back then in high school. Is it true?"

I feel heat travel to my cheeks. Why does he suddenly bring it up?

Jake seems to realize that I suddenly stiffen, and he turns me around so that I can face him. He stares into my eyes, as if trying to understand the mystery.

I don't say it out loud, but I nod, signaling that it's true.

"How?" he asks.

A soft smile appears on my lips as I remember our first encounter. "Actually, that night in the hotel wasn't the first time we met."

His brows furrow.

"Do you remember the time when your arm got hurt but you still played the football game in school?" I ask.

He nods, still not leaving his eyes off mine.

"It's because you saved me from the pervert inside the bus," I say.

He goes speechless, his lips parting. "That was you?"

I smile, nodding again.

Disbelief crosses his expression. "Shit. Maybe I should have really broken his hand," he blurts out.

I chuckle, shaking my head.

"So..." he pauses. "Is that why..." he falters.

I sigh. "It was really memorable for me. But what made me realize my feelings for you was the football game," I say, and he raises his eyebrows. "You were hurt because of me, but you still played. It was your dream, and I was so scared that something bad would happen to you, Jake. You did really well, though. I almost cried from happiness when you won the game. That time, I just couldn't..." I look down, suddenly feeling shy to make this confession. "I just couldn't deny that I really liked you."

Silence falls. I look up, only to find that Jake is still staring at me in amazement.

I clear my throat. "Well then, I'm just going to..." I falter, wondering what's on his mind. "Make our breakfast."