Chapter 61

The emperor led her to a nearby forest, which was close to Celine's home. She was aware of Draco's presence too, yet she decided to speak with Akihiko first.

"Thanks for saving me." She opened her eyes to a completely dark figure. His face was veiled by a straw hat and hidden as well.

He merely tipped his headpiece down. "I had been tailing them for a while. They don't kill, but they wreck villages under my name."

 It would make sense that some folks would oppose Akihiko's reign. She nodded and turned to leave, since it was all that she needed to confirm. There was no need to worry about his well being and whether he was struggling with politics anymore. 

"Then I will be leaving."

Even as Celine walked home, she could still feel the emperor's lingering presence behind her.

"Why are you following me?" She called out, not bothering to stop her steps.

"... You're still trembling."

"Is that truly the only reason? I'm sure the reason isn't to ensure a woman's safety especially when you're a busy empero, so why?"

"I told you that I'm interested in you. " Akihiko walked out of the shadows since he was caught anyways. "Also how can I not want to know more about someone who was supposedly erased from my memories?"

"You don't remember me and I'm not an important person in your life anymore. And didn't you hate me?" Celine asked.

". . ."

"The amount of times you pressed a dagger against my neck is quite astounding because we've only met a handful of times. You also give me those cold, death stares."

"I don't hate you. . ." He whispered, although Celine caught wind of every word.

He stood still, and Celine finally turned around to see his slightly reddened cheeks. She only felt more frustrated.

"I got that, but you can leave now. I am fine on my own. Draco is here with me." She spoke more softly, although her annoyance was still present in her tone. She didn't understand why she was upset, but she couldn't help feel wronged. Everytime Celine was reminded of Akihiko's memory loss, she was filled with injustice and anger for whatever reason. It filled her with incomprehensible sorrow and bitterness. 

Draco also jumped out of her shadows and hissed at Akihiko, hovering protectively over Celine.

"Then, take care and don't wander too far. The forest can be dangerous." Akihiko glanced at Draco blankly, then frowned. He felt as if he had done something wrong, even when he had saved Celine. 

Celine nodded her head and began to walk again. After a few steps, she abruptly halted and ran towards Akihiko in full speed. 

Akihiko widened his eyes as she ran with tears streaming down her cheeks. A weak punch landed against his chest. 

"Why don't you remember anything." She hit him again, with even less power. "It's so unfair. You can't do this to me. You can't forget all those years we spent together and treat me like a stranger, then keep showing up as if you are slightly curious. It's annoying. Hurtful." She hiccupped. 

Her weak jabs penetrated Akihiko's heart, as if it was squeezed with unknown force. He stood numbly from Celine's punches. He considered patting her back, hesitating greatly before finally reaching out to wrap his arms around the frail, crying woman again. He was surprised by the familiar gesture, and deja vu rang in his every move.

Eventually, he lowered himself so that she could sit comfortably as she cried in his arms. He could only sit quietly and lend her his shoulders, amazed by the warmth of this strange woman. 

Akihiko wanted to apologize, yet he couldn't bring himself to say any words. It wasn't in his nature to offer comfort.

Celine eventually stopped and drifted off into sleep, mentally exhausted by all the panic attacks and tears. When she woke up, the night was dark and she immediately jumped up in shock. 

With flushed cheeks, she looked away with guilt.

He stared amusedly and chuckled darkly. "Are you guilty because you were meeting a man in the afternoon and sleeping in another man's arms at night?" 

Celine glared wordlessly, and Akihiko only lifted himself up, casually tapping the dirt away from his dress, as if the spectacle before didn't occur. "If you're actually sorry, why don't you invite me over for some rest before I return to my palace?"

Because Celine felt guilty for falling asleep, she nodded her head and looked away.