37| dance

“We can only try to make people know that they deserve better.”

-defineliving

37| dance

Oliver Carlson.

Oliver Carlson is right here, in the shop, sitting at the counter on one of the stools.

He is not alone.

There is a word.‘Beautiful’.

If you look for the meaning in the dictionary, it will say, “pleasing to the senses or mind aesthetically.”

When you see someone beautiful, you can’t help but be pleased, and you can’t look away.

She is beautiful.

She has beautiful, long blonde hair cascading down her back. She has bright eyes that are crinkled around the corner because she is smiling. Her lips are red. She has a heart shaped mouth and a beautiful smile. She is wearing a cute red top with summer shorts. She has that perfect figure every girl would be envious of. Everything about her is perfect.

If you look at her, you can’t help saying, “beautiful.”

I would look like trash next to her.

She is sitting right beside Oliver and laughing about something he said. She has one of her hands resting on his arms. He is not saying anything. He is looking at her.

My body is freezing up little by little, starting from my feet.

She says something and laughs, throwing her head back. Oliver stares at her.

My entire body is frozen.

She says something. Oliver replies.

Then he looks down.

He smiles.

Oliver Carlson is smiling. The girl laughs again. She leans forward as she laughs.

Oliver presses his lips together.

I can’t breathe. I am suffocating. My fingernails dig in my palms. I can’t feel anything. Everything seems hazy.

The girl shakes her head.

The guy on the counter interrupts them. He places a packet of food between them. The girl looks at it and asks Oliver something. He replies.

She opens the packet. In her hand is a tater tot. She pops it in her mouth.

I take a step back.

I can’t believe anything I am seeing.

My eyes water. I can’t keep watching this.

Tater tots are my favorite food. Tater tots are our favorite food.

Oliver takes the packet from her hand. Their hands brush as he does so.

The girl stares at him. She says something. Oliver stays silent.

She starts leaning towards him. I know the look on her face.

And I don’t need to stay here to watch what happens next. I turn around and I storm out of the shop.

My heart squeezes so badly that I can’t stand straight. My legs want to give up. I want to curl into a ball and hug myself.

Tears start streaming from my eyes. I can’t see what’s in front of me. I clench my heart and hop on my bike somehow. Then I start peddling.

I don’t know where I am going. I know I need to get away. I know I need to get out of here. I know I need an escape.