🌑 . . chapter twenty.

( ❑❑❑ )

❝ time is . . a painful concept. ❞

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩

( november 09, 2022. )

raeil sat up upon awakening, confused as to why the first thing she saw was the night's dark starless sky. she then began racking her memory for the possible gist of the occurrence, aimlessly staring at an unconscious doyoung with his back against her direction.

oh yeah, we crashed.

what jolted her senses awake even more was a man standing right in front of her, taking in a silent observations. from head to toe, his clothes and accessories were all black that even the smallest details of what he was wearing were just in different shades.

"who are you?"

"you're dead," the man said a little too spontaneously, his voice not as intimidating as she thought it would be. nevertheless, the monotone scared her.

"w-what did i do to you?"

"nothing, you're just dead."

"what?!"

"you died."

her expression of shock was still there, holding onto the last hope that she was just in a dream of some sort.

i haven't even paid my taxes, fuck.

are the taxpayers gonna ascend from hell to collect my money?! oh my god, that's much scarier.

the other woke up at the perfect time, his voice still woozy as he spoke, "we're in heaven?"

"noooo, not yet."

"are you god?"

"i- i'm yangyang."

"she is god?"

they pointed to a female behind the man, wearing a similar outfit. her features were rough they could sense how it was his sister . . or cousin. honestly, both versions could pass.

"nah, she's xiaoxiao."

although the people in black clothes's previous small elaborations were supposed to be enough to explain the situation, both their minds still spun as they overflowed with questions, scenarios based on pure imagination, exaggeration, and whatnot.

"are you guys dead too?"

"kinda," it was her time to respond with her naturally husky voice, "we're death itself so, yeah."

"wait, if we died in a crash, why is our car not damaged?"

"it's technically dead too, but we had an ability so we revived it. in another world, at least."

the girl sneered. "what for? it's all old and musty anyway."

and as usual, doyoung was there to defend his own side. "only reason it got old soon because you literally did not help me maintain it. we had joint ownership but i did everything."

"i thought you were an independent man?"

with a heavy sigh, yangyang did his best to ignore their bickering. "it's for you to continue your unfinished drive. y'know for closure."

they didn't stop though.

"closure? as in you want us to crash again? die for the second time?"

"she isn't even planning on saying sorry! i don't need closure."

"i was wrong at some point, but you have more obligation to say sorry, excuse me."

"none of this would've happened if you stayed in your damn seat!"

"who's the irresponsible son of a bitch driver who did not look at the road here?"

"excuse-"

and yangyang obviously wasn't having any of it today.

"i swear to god, i am gonna kill the both of you for the second time if you don't shut the fuck up."

thankfully, they did as they were told due to immense intimidation.

yet again, he let out the thousandth stressed sigh for the night.

"you swore oh no," raeil mumbled, still frozen in her spot after the fright from his voice's volume, "may god be with you."

"we swear a lot too, let him be."

"he serves for heaven, it's a different case."

xiaoxiao pursed her lips to avoid letting out an ugly laugh by how ridiculous both were. it reminded her of those old married couples who've been together for 30-years.

despite all the chaos, the serious atmosphere when he came to the most important part of his utterance didn't lose its essence towards the couple.

"just . . i know you're soulmates and all but," the male reaper began, "you might not see each other for a long, long time again. cherish the moment while you can."

( ❑❑❑ )