7| A bet is a bet

The race is scheduled for Friday. Tyler and I will be the only two on the track, and the first one to the finish line wins. It means I can barely think straight during my lessons on Friday. My mind is on the race tonight, on how it would feel to beat Tyler Wakeford–how it would feel to lose to him.

At lunch, Vanessa quizzes me on my life back home. I try my best to give her my full attention, telling her about my best friend, Kianna, and how much I miss her. Vanessa's eyes cloud over, and she tells me about her old best friend, Sierra, who moved away last year. The two don't keep in touch anymore, which makes me anxious. What if that happens to Kianna and me?

When school lets out, I send a quick message to Kianna and then rush home for dinner. Mom wants to know what's got me in such a hurry, so I tell her I've got a shift at the cafe and I might be back late. 

Mom sighs. "Well, I'm glad to see your settling in here, even if you are working at a track." 

I glance at Dad, who has been quiet all evening. "You okay, Dad?"

He looks up now, startled. "Hm?"

"I asked if you were okay." 

He forces a smile. "I'm fine, honey. I'm just tired. I think I'll go and lie down." He closes his eyes, looking pained, then adds, "Could someone help me, please?"

Mom jumps up immediately and goes to help Dad. I finish off my food with a feeling of dread before grabbing my helmet. As usual, the small voice in my head whispers, What if that happens to me?

The ride to the track is spent doubting my decisions. Losing to Tyler tonight won't just mean I'll have proved them right about me, it will mean I'll have no one experience to practice with before the tournament.

It's a big gamble, and I was never treated like this back in Arizona, but there is nothing I can do about that now. I need to focus on winning or risk forfeiting the championships, something I'm not prepared to do. 

The track is busier than normal, and I have a feeling word of my race with Tyler has gotten out; they've come to watch me lose. I straighten up and park my bike in a bay before heading up to the patio.

I'm a little early, but observing some of the other racers might not be a bad idea. All tracks are different, each curve and bump like a whole new experience, and watching how other racers can handle them gives me a better idea of how I can handle them, too.

I spot Alex in the distance, serving a group of girls in the far corner. I wait for her to finish her table before heading over. "Why did you tell me to race if it went against this stupid code?" 

She turns at the sound of my voice. "Because," she says, raising an eyebrow, "I hate that bullshit code. I wanted to see someone break it."

I sigh and say, "Glad you have so much faith in me."

Tyler chooses that moment to pull up to the edge of the track and park his bike in the bay. He scans the circuit, seemingly unsatisfied with what he's found before he turns and scans the bar. 

His eyes find mine almost immediately. I think about turning and darting in the opposite direction, knowing it isn't good to talk to the competition in case he tries to get inside my head. But then he grins, and I realize he's not worried about this at all; he knows he's going to win. 

I take a deep breath and watch as riders make it to the finish line. I'm in way over my head, I know that, but I've never been one to back down from a fight, even when the odds are against me.

Tyler heads up to the patio steps, his helmet still on, revealing only half of his face. Two of the girls on the table Alex served suddenly turn to watch him.  He walks over to me and says, "Wish me luck?"