𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 2 │︎♚︎

"Every day I tell myself I am one more day closer to seeing you, and it gives me the power to live one more without you."

Syfas

I stirred from my restless slumber, my thoughts consumed by my beloved in my dreams, knowing that I couldn't find peace until she was beside me. I gently rubbed the sleep from my eyes and stumbled toward the bathroom, splashing my face with water to fully awaken myself once more.

I noticed the brilliant sunlight streaming in, illuminating the vibrant garden where joyous children savorued ice lollies and played until they exhausted themselves. A smile spread across my face as thoughts of the children I envisioned having with my beloved filled my mind. I imagined her as the ideal mother, while I resolved to do everything in my power to be a loving and devoted father.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I shook these thoughts out of my head whilst I dressed and headed back to my office to finish off the unlimited paperwork. Ever since my father handed over the crown to me, I have been overflowing in work and if it wasn't for Axil I would've been drowning in it.

After toiling for approximately four hours, I successfully completed my tasks for the day. Weary but determined, I made my way to the kitchen with the intention of preparing a meal for myself. However, feeling too fatigued to cook at that moment, I decided to summon one of my chefs to take care of the culinary duties.

After finishing my meal, I made the decision to visit my father and discuss the recent rogue attacks with my trusted beta. He called for a meeting to address this pressing matter. I had to agree, it was becoming more serious by the second.

"Syfas." Despite not being a regular smoker, the stress of the situation led him to reach for a cigarette. As he inhaled deeply, the calming effect of the nicotine helped him momentarily ease his nerves and collect his thoughts for the important discussion. He discarded of the wispy cigarette into an empty ashtray at the corner of his desk.

I noticed a familiar man seated on the far end sofa of my father's study, an underling for the council I assume. A smug look plastered across his face as he began to write in the lined journal with a bewitched quill that never runs out of ink.

I extended my hand to Axil in a firm handshake, exchanging a nod of acknowledgment, before settling into the chair beside him. Leaning back, I awaited my fathers opening words, ready to engage in our discussion.

"I want to discuss what is happening with these rogues".

"The council also is eager to know." The small man interjected with a hint of provocation in his tone, adding to the growing tension in the room. I couldn't help but roll my eyes internally at the man's arrogance. It seemed like he believed his small copper badge granted him an unearned sense of invincibility.

His badge may mean the world to him, but in my eyes, he's nothing more than the lowest rung on the Council hierarchy.

"Don't worry," I assured him, my confidence unwavering. "I've got it under control. I'll reveal the plan during the meeting, and I believe it will put us on the right path to deal with these rogues."

He looked down at the number on the sheets before him. The dead, the injured and the missing. All totalling to 56 men and women.

My father's concern hung heavily in the air as he continued, "I don't doubt your methods, Syfas, but you should be aware that there are murmurs among the tribes. Some are claiming that you are incapable of leading without a mate."