2.09

Helena Campos had been struggling with social anxiety since she could remember

Helena Campos had been struggling with social anxiety since she could remember. Usually, her meds and the experience she had collected over the years were enough to keep it in check, it had never been extreme. However, there were always days in which she felt too anxious. This was one of them.

As she was getting ready, after a panic attack, Izzie and George entered her room. "Lena, something's wrong with Meredith, we need your help." The blond intern said and left. After a good morning kiss, the couple followed her to Meredith's room.

"I'm just not going." The owner of the house was telling Izzie as they entered.

"You have to go to work. You're an intern, saving lives is not optional." The taller blond argued.

"Yes it is, I'm staying home." Helena tilted her head at the girl's answer.

"Hum, Mer, maybe there'll be a horrible accident nearby the hospital and you can cut a bunch of people open. Sternotomies, craniotomies... that'd be fun, right?" The boy encouraged, Helena elbowing him.

"Georgie!"

"I don't care about surgeries..." Meredith buried her head in a pillow.

"Ok, Mer, what is it?" At the girl's lack of a response, Helena sat by her and stroked her hair lightly. "Honestly, I woke up with a feeling today... like something bad might happen. It's probably just me being really anxious, though." She explained.

"That's it! I have a feeling." Meredith managed to put her emotions into words.

After Cristina was called, she entered the room, shooting Helena, who was still holding the blond, a questioning glare.

At that, the smaller girl shrugged. "She says she has a feeling."

"You have a... feeling?" Cristina asked, trying to empathise.

"Yes." Meredith answered.

"Ok, what kind of feeling?" The curly haired woman insisted.

"Like I might die..." The blond whispered.

"Today, tomorrow, in fifty years? We're all gonna die eventually! Now we're late." Cristina complained, still standing up, as the shorter girl kept running her fingers through blond locks.

"I mean, I feel like I might die too, but I'm still going to work. Come on, Mer, we're interns, we don't get to stay home." Lena nudged her friend, as if urging her to get up. "What is it?"

Meredith sat up in her bed and started explaining. "Ok, the man I love has a wife. And then he chooses her, over me. And that wife takes my dog!" At the Portuguese girl's judging look, she corrected. "Ok, she didn't take the dog, I gave it to her, but I didn't mean to give it to her, I meant to give it to him." She turned to look at her small friend. "But that doesn't change the fact that she's got my McDreamy. And my McDog. She's got my Mclife. And what have I got...? Do you know I can't remember the last time we kissed? Cause you never think the last time is the last time, you think there'll be more. You think you have forever, but you don't." She flopped her head back into her pillow. "Plus my conditioner decided to stop working, I think I have brittled bones... I just, I just need something to happen. I need a sign things are gonna change. I need a reason to go on, I need some hope. And in the absence of hope, I need to stay in bed and feel like I might die today." She finished off.