Newt [41]

All the work Newt had done during his time in the glade had completely come undone in a matter of weeks.

When Y/N first showed up in the glade, she was quiet. Hesitant to speak. Newt spent night after night for nearly two years with her working up her confidence. The girl had a really awful combination of having trouble articulating her words as well a minor stutter. Not just that, but she also seemed to shut down the second someone spoke over her or put her down.

The right arm was full of a lot of new people. To say the least, it was intimidating. And to make matters worse, Vince was a pretty abrasive person.

Tonight, it didn't take Newt long to find Y/N. She was hunkered away, hiding behind one of the cots in the tent they'd been sleeping in the past while. She sat with knees to her chest and nose quite literally in a book, just trying to occupy her mind elsewhere.

A couple hours ago, Vince had snapped on Y/N. She was having trouble getting an idea out of her mouth. It was a brilliant one and all Vince had to do was give her a few extra seconds and listen. But what had he done? He'd yelled at her, calling her some really awful things and saying that if she couldn't spit the words out right then to just not speak at all.

Newt figured these sorts of hurtful comments went past the memory wipe because they hit Y/N hard. It was like after Vince had snapped, he watched Y/N completely rebuild those walls he'd worked so hard to help lower.

Slowly, Newt lowered himself to his knees in front of Y/N. She looked up with glassy eyes to meet his. Newt felt a familiar ache in his chest and he reached out to brush some of her hair behind her ear. "You alright, love?" He asked.

Y/N nod a little and then moved her eyes back to the book. Newt knew that meant the exact opposite.

"I'm sorry for what he said." The blonde reached for Y/N's book, closed it and held it in his lap. Now, she was forced to focus on him. "It shouldn't have happened."

The girl tried to swallow. "Maybe he's right." She tried to hold it together, whispering. "Maybe it's better I don't say anything."

"No." Newt cut her off. "Don't ever think that. You have the best ideas of us all. We need you. Vince is just an asshole who isn't patient enough to hear you out."

Y/N's face sort of contort with a half smile. It wasn't often Newt would say crude things like that about someone. But, when he did, it was best to believe he meant them. Newt stood, hands held out for her to grab on. When she stood with him, he wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Ah, there she is." The boy smiled, hands on her shoulders. "The smartest, most creative person I know!"

A small laugh left Y/N. "And here you are, the kindest most supportive person I know!"

"Nah," He rolled his eyes, pulling Y/N in for a warm hug. "That's too generous of a title."

The pair stood there for a while, Y/N silently thankful for Newt always being there. Truthfully, somedays all she needed was to wrap her arms around him for a couple of minutes for the world to reset.

After a while, Newt finally let go and looked to the girl wth sincerity. "Listen, I could care less if you ever talk to Vince again. But don't go silent on me. We need your voice here."

"Ok. I can do that." Y/N agreed. Newt would always be one to listen, be patient ands support her. She didn't have to talk to Vince if she didn't want to. But, it wasn't worth shutting Newt out too.