Lost

You must be lost.

Those were the first words he'd ever spoke to Foster. And now that's just about what summed him up. Lost. Stranded in the middle of nowhere in the human lands, a place he'd only been with guides-till now. So yeah, lost.

Literally and emotionally actually, but now wasn't time for deep thoughts, instead he might as well find a place to... live? Stay? He wasn't sure yet. Was he really doing to stay away forever?

He'd gone away to protect everyone from him, more specifically from what his mom could make him do. Who his mom could force him to hurt...

He couldn't risk it

So he'd left. Up and walked out of the Elven cities. Well... light leaped. But still. But would it actually be for the rest of his life?

You have too. He reminded himself. Too keep Foster safe.

Sophie Elizabeth Foster. Arguably the most powerful elf in the world. Some knew her as the record holder for most Elwin visits, others as a frequenter of tribunals and many as the Black Swan's Moonlark. But for him? Sophie... she was his friend. His closest friend. At least since him and Fitz weren't in a great place... although truly they'd never been as close as he'd once thought. But he had been there when he needed a place to go, and that's all he could ask for, right?

Memories flashed across his mind, Fitz going off on a tangent about him and Sophie's relationship, the way he'd hugged her in front of him. Awkward conversations about whether he could trust him... but that was enough of sad thoughts. For now he needed to find a way off this road. Maybe one of the humans... but what if he hurt them instead of the elves?

You can't exactly live here without speaking to anyone, he reminded himself, but he would spare his words. Hoping to find a life with what little risks he could. For now his plan was to settle down somewhere and than focus on controlling his ability. His one hope to return... if he could get it to comply.

Thankfully he didn't have to start from nowhere, he had taken with him some human money Dex had gave him once. At first he'd been meaning to use the money for the mysterious cakes and chocolates he'd heard about in the forbidden cities, but this would have to make do.

He continued walking down the stretch of land till one machine stopped in front of him, he stood still as a piece of the metal slided to the right. Showing a man who was watching him thoughtfully.

"There a reason you're here boy?" The man asked gruffly.

Keefe shrugged, not sure what more to say.

"I take it you mean to find a place to settle but considering your age and fresh look I'd guess you've never been around these parts?"
Keefe shook his head from side to side. Hoping that was enough to make sense, but the man watched him, interested.

"Do you talk lad?"

"Sometimes." Keefe said simply.

"I see. And what are you doing around these parts?"

"I want a place to start over." He breathed the words out, just loud enough for the man to hear.

"Well you seem young and friendly, if you prove you can be trusted I might be able to help you with finding a job and board. Would you like a ride too the town?"

"Yes." Keefe said, after considering it.
"Thank you sir."

"Hop in." The man said, turning his face away as Keefe looked at the vehicle confused. There were things that looked somewhat like chairs built Into it. But there was also a sort of belt on the side. What was that for?

"You have seen a car haven't you?" The man asked, his gruff tone appearing once more. Impatience in his features.

Keefe nodded. Slipping in and fidgeting. Trying to figure out what he was supposed to do but in the end the man explained it all to him.

After a bit the vehicle turned on, a loud noise started and they were off, Keefe watched out the window, the scenery around him, the woods, the flowers. It wasn't as beautiful as the lost cities, but it had its own sort of uniqueness.

After a while he turned to study the man, there was a scar on one of his hands, leading down to the thumb finger. He looked like the type of guy who meant business. But why had he helped him?

"May I ask you a question sir?" Keefe asked, a few seconds later the man nodded.

"Why are you helping me?"

"I did the same thing as you. Hitchhiked from town to town, but never in my life had I seen someone who looked more lost than you. Besides. The nearest town is many miles from here."

Keefe nodded, thinking about this.

"What job do you think I could find?" He lifted his head to see the man focusing on the road.

"Well what do you like to do? Anything you're good at?"

"Some people have told me I'm good at drawing. Oh and I'm really good with animals." He supplied, hoping the man knew what might fit that job description.

"Well I know someone in town who could use help at an animal shelter. If that's your sort of thing."

Animal shelter? Was it like the sanctuary?

"And if that's not your wish I'm sure my wife could use help with the kids. We're always running around trying to keep them entertained. But sometimes they wander around, and it's not safe around all my tools and machinery."

Keefe nodded, glad to have options. Maybe he could really have a life here. Maybe he could do this. And this time he wouldn't let fear stand in his way.