Chapter 6

I plopped down my seat exactly when the second bell rang.

Always right on time!

While I was going through my bag to get my notebook and pencil out, something hit the back of my head. I turned to glare at the responsible and saw Alex grinning at me sitting at the desk in diagonal with mine.

"What's your problem, dude," I mouthed to him trying to not attract the attention of Mrs Muffin in front. The poor woman had inherited the lovely nickname because of her atrocious red curly hair that made her head look like a muffin. And I wasn't kidding here, it was true, it, honest to god, looked like a glorious muffin.

Alex held his phone in front of him and shook it. Alright, what am I suppose to make of this? I whispered, "confused," pointing to myself.

He kept tapping on his phone. What? Does he want a new phone or something? Damn, boys arde confusing in the morning.

"What's wrong with your phone," I hissed and held my hands beside me frowning and shaking my head like I had no freaking clue. Because honestly, I hadn't.

"Check your phone you dim-wit," he said out loud and rolled his eyes.

I rolled my eyes too. "Jeez, no need to be rude," I answered and turned around in my seat to find a muffin with glasses staring at me.

"Is something wrong?" she inquired and I think she was trying to make it sound threatening, but it just couldn't work. First, she was the least believable mean person in the world. Second, muffins just couldn't get angry. Ever.

"No everything's perfect Ma'am. Proceed, proceed," I said, rolling my hand in the air urging her to continue with whatever she had been doing.

She turned back to her board, resuming with her note writing that we were expected to copy. That was all we ever did in this class—copy what she wrote on the board.

Hmm. We called her Mrs. Muffin but what was her real name? That really bothered me for a second. What was her real name?

I couldn't remember—which couldn't actually come as a shocked since I didn't seem to have perfect record on the whole remembering people's actual names thing.

Ugh. I was definitely never going to hear the end of that, I was sure. Drake would throw it back in my face—no pun intended—as often as he could.

But as much as the a-hole annoyed me, I had to admit, deep within, the whole bantering thing I had been doing with him, it made me feel like the Old-me again—the one that was a little bit stupider and a whole lot funnier, the way I was before my mother left. But only in small doses—Alex could support that statement; he often used to complain about it.

I shook my head, a bit confused by that realization—I mean, why the heck would my old self come back to argue with a narcissist bastard? I looked at the board in front and sighed heavily.

This was getting boring—taking notes—I was about to make drawling beaaa sounds to support that state of mind.

I took my bag again, looking for my pen and saw my phone.

Oh yeah right! Ooops. How easily distracted was I, really?

I took my phone but it was turned off, so I pressed the open button but nothing happened.

Damn! I turned around and stared at Alex. "No batteries," I mouthed to him, tapping the screen for emphasis and he just rolled his eyes. Pff.

I gazed back at the board and realized that Mrs Muffin was already erasing a part of the board. Slow down Speedy Gonzales! I haven't even started yet!