5 9 | J U L I E T

"You really like it here, huh?" Abeo asked we walked down the steps into the familiar hot and sweaty underground party with neon flashing strobe lights, loud music and people dancing.

And apparently drug dealers and addicts.

"It's fun here," I said.

"I thought you wouldn't want to come back after Nova scared you off," he said and I felt an angry tick in my jaw.

I did not like people verbalizing my moments of weakness. "He didn't, really. I was just taken by surprise," I said shortly, not wanting to lash out at him.

Thankfully he moved onto a different topic, but unfortunately the one I didn't want to venture into. "So I was thinking we could go bowling or something, or maybe catch a movie–your choice."

"My choice is to not go for either."

"Oh, come on," he said from behind me. "The only time I see you is at lunch and sometimes in the hallways but mostly in bed."

"And this party," I added as if that made it any better for him.

"Okay, but I want to spend more time with you, something that doesn't always include fucking," he said and I detected a slight hint of irritation in his tone.

I raised an eyebrow and stopped, turning to look at him. "I thought I told you I was only looking for something casual with you? If you have a problem with our current arrangement, you have only to tell me."

"No, no," he said hurriedly. "I don't have a problem with it."

I sighed. I knew I was too irresistible and I knew a lot of guys would fall in love with me but I didn't want Abeo to be one of them. He seemed really attached to me and he was a nice guy. Having feelings for me was only going to hurt him.

"You need a drink," I said, pulling him towards the bar and ordering for us both.

When our drinks came up, I thrusted it into his hands and urged him to drink.

He kept talking about mundane things and asked me to dance with him but I declined and after he had a few drinks, I stopped. I had a couple down my system as well but I was sober. Abeo was tipsy and that was what I wanted.

"I'm going to use the bathroom," I said, cupping his cheek and making him look up at me. "Don't move. Stay right here."

I hoped he would listen to me and stay put until I returned. I felt bad for getting him drunk but if I didn't want him following me around like a puppy then it had to be done.

In honesty, my sole purpose of returning here was to know more about what happened here and what else Maira does here with her dogs. I just didn't want to run into Nova.

I crept to the place where I had seen Maira last time. Trying to not look suspicious and attract attention, I walked through the dark, peering into open doors. Most had people who were playing various games, some way too drunk beyond their limits, some were getting it on causing me to move on with a grimace.

Finally I reached the room I had seen Maira in and was disappointed to see it empty. We were quite early to the party which meant that the drug part of this party started a little later. I'd have to stick around for that.

Releasing an irritated exhale, I decided to go back and check on Abeo. In the darkness, I almost didn't see the big, towering figure which I was beginning to associate with him, hunched into a particularly dark corner, almost undetectable if it wasn't for the faint glow of his phone barely lighting up his features.

I instinctively jumped behind a wall to escape notice, hating to see myself wanting to hide at the sight of someone. No one made me feel like cowering back into hiding, except this mammoth guy.