[37] Hideout

"Uhm... they said to meet us here, right?" Alluka tugged on the sleeve of Killua's shirt as she looked out into the vast ocean right in front of her. 

"Yeah, this is the only harbor around here. There's no doubt about it." Killua replied, gazing at the ocean as well, its deep blue hue rivaling the color of his eyes.

Meanwhile, you looked at the various boats and ships along the harbor, feeling the soft sea breeze. "I wonder where they're taking us? Wouldn't a plane be faster?" you asked, tilting your head to the side.

Killua closed his eyes in thought as he crossed his arms over his chest. "No, there is a place I could think of where using a boat is better."

"Really?" You turned your head to face him. "Where?"

Before Killua could open his mouth though, you heard Alluka call out to someone, waving her arms high in the air to them. "Ryu! Senka! We're here!!"

You turned to where Alluka was facing, and sure enough, you could see a grinning Senka running towards the three of you, dragging Ryu with her. "Hey!! Sorry to make you guys wait! Ryu took forever to get his ass out of bed!" She called back.

Ryu merely sighed. "That's because you woke me up so early. I could get up just fine. Usually," he mumbles, loud enough for Senka to hear. "Plus, I didn't take forever. You're just impatient." 

"Oh, shut up! They're waiting!" Senka pouted, before turning to you three once more. 

You gave them a small wave. "Hey, guys!" You greeted, returning Senka's grin from earlier with your own warm smile. 

"Yo," Killua raised a hand in acknowledgment, the corner of his lips tugging upwards into a small smile. 

Senka scratched the side of her head sheepishly. "Did you guys wait long? Sorry about that," she says.

"We just got here. Don't worry about it," Killua replies, before looking out into the ocean once more. "So, care to explain why you called us out here?"

"Well..." she gazed at Ryu for a bit, before turning to Killua once more. "We're taking you to one of our hideouts-slash-training grounds! It's the closest one around, so I figured we should stay there for the time being. Right, Ryu?" 

"Yeah..." 

You raised an eyebrow. "One of them? You guys have more than one?" 

"Yup!" Senka nodded. "All over the world. Hunting criminals can turn ugly real fast, so it's nice to have some safe spots here and there." She shrugged. 

"I see," Killua nodded. "So where is this place?"

She smiled, putting a finger to her lips. "You'll see," she says, before looking over to the sea. "Come with us! Our yacht is over there," She pointed to a spot on the corner of the harbor, before walking ahead. 

Alluka immediately followed. Meanwhile, you and Killua shared a questioning look. By the serious look in his eyes, you could tell he's being wary. 

You smiled. "It should be fine. You decided we could trust them, right?" you asked.

"Yeah." He nodded. "It's nothing. Don't worry about it," he said, before interlacing his fingers with yours.

"Wait–"

"Let's hurry or we'll lose them," he cut you off, leading you by the hand, all the while avoiding your gaze. 

_ _ _

"Just as I thought. That's why you had us go by boat instead of a plane." Killua's eyes widened as he looked over at the sea. 

Senka nodded vigorously. "That's right. It's not that far from shore either!" She exclaimed. 

"I don't know how a five-hour trip is 'not far from shore,' Senka," Ryu sighs, resting his arms by the railing of the yacht.

Senka rolls her eyes playfully. "Oh shut up! It's not that much longer anyway!" She argues, pointing to the direction the yacht is going in, and where Killua was looking.

You and Alluka looked to where she was pointing to. Squinting your eyes, you could see nothing but the deep blue ocean. 

"Onee-chan! Do you see it??" Alluka jumped, pointing to a spot on the horizon.

You tilted your head, narrowing your eyes even further. "Oh wait... Oh! I see it now!"

"Right? I didn't know their hideout was on an island!" Alluka giggled, looking at the small speck on the horizon, which seemed to be the island.

Killua narrowed his eyes slightly. "Who else is staying on that island? If someone finds us, it won't be that easy to get away," he says, looking to Ryu and Senka.

'He must be referring to Illumi, huh...' You thought.   

"Oh, don't worry about it!" Senka chuckles. "The entire island belongs to me and Ryu!" 

_ _ _

'The entire island, huh?' You thought, feeling its soil under your feet as you followed Ryu and Senka further inland. 

 Meanwhile, Killua was looking around. He wore that same cautious, calculating look he had ever since leaving Heavens Arena. 

"Hey, why do you guys own something like this anyway? I don't see a need for you to buy an entire island, even with your position as a Hunter," Killua asked.

"Well..." Senka paused, putting a finger to her chin. "Some criminal gang used to use this place for their shady business. So when we captured them, we claimed ownership of the island as well."

"I did most of the work, though," Ryu mumbled, resting his hands behind his head as he yawned. 

Hearing this, a visible irk mark popped on Senka's head. "No, you didn't! Who do you think discovered their location in the first place?!" She exclaimed, staring daggers as she leaned closer to him. 

"Oi... I was just asking a question. No need to argue over it," Killua sweatdropped, while you and Alluka just chuckled. 

"I–" Senka paused, clearing her throat. "You're right. We're almost in our training area anyway. We can talk about anything there," She said, trying to regain her composure. 

Soon after, you arrived at a clearing surrounded by a small forest. You took a deep breath, taking in the scent of nature you've been missing ever since you've left your home a year ago. 

"This is where we usually practice our Hatsu!" Senka exclaimed, raising her hands up in the air. "A great place to chill, too! If you guys want," She chuckled.  

You nodded, looking around the area. "Reminds me of when I used to live in the forest," you smiled. It felt like it was so long ago. Ever since you met Killua, after all, every day was an adventure. 

"This is a good spot," Killua looked around. "But this place is undefended. You guys are Bounty Hunters, right? And First Star hunters at that. What happens if the very criminals you're hunting down comes to hunt both of you instead?" Killua asked, narrowing his eyes.

You sweatdropped. 'Even in this place, Killua's worried that Illumi might show up. Makes sense, though. Hisoka found us after all...' You thought.

"Undefended...?" Senka narrowed her eyes slightly, as she turned to Ryu, who nodded at her. "If you think this place is undefended, then you haven't been paying much attention, have you, kid?" Senka smirked.

"What–"

Suddenly, Senka raised a finger, as a ball of her nen materialized. "Let me tell you a bit about my Nen ability, then," a mysterious smile touched her lips.