~47~

Don't skip the author's note after the chapter 🙏♥️

                              ~ADAM~

I sighed for the umpteenth time, my thoughts in disarray. I couldn't stop seeing Sophia's face, the disbelief and hurt in them, couldn't stop seeing the tears that had welled up in her eyes at Kunle's word. He had raised his voice at her, that was a first and in public at that.

I did not know what to make of that.

I never knew something could make Kunle that angry to that point of actually raising his voice at her. Sophia did push him, calling his girlfriend a puppet and talking to her in that abrasive manner was just way out of line. He had every right to be angry but trivializing what she was going through, using that against her in that manner was way out of line especially when he knew better than anyone what she was going through.

It was just... I did not just see it coming.

Immediately I left the cafeteria, I had gone after her but it was like she disappeared into thin air immediately she stepped out of the cafeteria. I ended up ransacking the whole school, her favorite spots in the school, the swimming pool, the basketball court but she was nowhere to be found. Attempts to call her number was futile because it kept going to voicemails. In the end, I gave up and I returned to the Arts Studio, still thinking about where she could be. For someone who cried over the smallest of things, I was sure she was probably bawling her eyes out now and probably alone.

I did not understand why she disliked Aminah that much. It just seemed like something about the girl turned her off, made her so irritated, brought out the worst in her.

If that was because of her feelings for Kunle, then it wasn't loved again, it was infatuation and obsession and just how much was this going to cost her? And Kunle? And our friendship?

I rubbed the back of my neck, feeling the onset of a headache. The smell of paint and charcoal pencils always calmed me today but right now, they were doing the exact opposite.

Sophia was somewhere in the school, crying her eyes out.

Kunle was somewhere, almost biting his head off and regretting his last sentence and wishing he could take his words back but he already said and there was no way he'd rectify that.

The door creaked open and I opened my eyes to see Kunle entering the studio. He stepped in fully before, his eyes scanning the entire size of the studio. He was looking for her; I was certain of that. His eyes came back to meet mine when he did not see her and his shoulders visibly slumped making him lean against the door.

For the first time in forever, he did not have his signature smile on, he looked tired but determined and he looked angry, probably angry at himself for going overboard and probably at Sophia for always blatantly disrespecting his girlfriend.

"Where is..." He trailed off, took calming breaths. "How's she?"

That coff, the sound escaping my mouth before I could stop myself and my brow arching up questioningly.

"Did you think of that before saying those words to her? How she'd feel about you talking to her in that manner?"

"I've always thought about it too. Does Sophia ever think of how Aminah would feel with her talking to her in that manner every single time?"