twenty-seven

hi!! extra chapter this week because i really felt like updating ☺️

edited: april 7, 2021
✺✺✺

(Y/N) sighs, pulling a tank top over her head and looking in the mirror. This was not going to be fun. She runs a hand through the roots of her hair, stepping away and before turning and looking up at the wall, examining the gift from last year.

The Imperial Gold is spotless, taken care of extremely well due to its rarity. (Y/N) smiles at the sight, shifting her focus and pulling her long, silver bladed sword off the wall beside the golden one. She slides it into the sheath on her sword belt before shrugging on her leather jacket and stepping outside her cabin, the torches no longer lit from yesterday evening. She waits for Percy, looking up at the star-filled sky.

His footsteps sound right at five o' clock, and (Y/N) turns her attention to him, her face calm and lacking the gentle smile she had worn the last week of training. Percy notices this, and slight worry fills him at her tone of voice. "Fifteen," she says, her words closed off and colder than usual. He doesn't think much of it, knowing that she's going to be more harsh now, and starts jogging.

(Y/N) walks around to the clearing behind her cabin, and she rests her hand on the hilt of her sword. Percy finishes his laps, coming to a slow stop at the back of the cabin. "What's next?" he asks.

(Y/N) unsheathes her sword, spinning it before resting the flat side of the blade on her shoulder. "Do you have Riptide?"

He nods in response, pulling the pen out from the pocket of his joggers. "Today, you're sparring me until either you win, or I say we're finished. Each loss will result in two minutes of running."

Percy furrows his eyebrows in slight confusion. "That's new," he states, clicking the pen so his sword forms in his hand.

"It is. And it's going to be hard, but you only rest when I say so. We clear?"

He nods, walking forward to stand in front of her. Both demigods bring their swords up to a ready position, and they look each other in the eye, anticipating the first move. Percy steps forward, moving to strike her side, but she moves away immediately. From beside Percy, she brings her sword up to meet his, maneuvering it to knock Riptide out of his hand. (Y/N) strikes his stomach with the hilt of her sword, earning a grunt of pain from Percy. She sweeps her leg under his feet, making him lose his balance and fall backwards onto the ground.

"That's one. What did you do wrong?"

"My guard was down," Percy responds, groaning slightly as he rubs his stomach.

"And?"

"My base was weak."

"Exactly. We worked on that for the whole of last week, Percy. Get it together."

His eyes widen at the ice in her voice, but he simply nods, standing up again when she steps away from him. He picks up Riptide from the grass, turning to face (Y/N) again. He holds his sword out, and she immediately moves forward to attack. She goes to strike his shoulder, and Percy brings Riptide up to block it, but (Y/N) expertly diverts her blade to slice his thigh. His leg falters at the pain, but he keeps his stance, ignoring the blood that starts to trickle from the wound. He attacks, swiping at (Y/N)'s legs as a diversion and bringing his sword up to reach her shoulder. She blocks it, and their swords repeatedly clash as one demigod attacks and the other defends.

Twenty seconds pass, and Percy stands with Riptide pointed at his throat, (Y/N)'s silver sword behind his neck.

"Two."