|36|

THE DARK LORD

Eva's birthday was shit but that was to be expected, so how bad could it be meeting up with Jessie? The worst her bestfriend could say would be that she wanted their friendship to end permanently.

Did Eva blame Jessie? everyone left Eva in the end even her own family, so if Jessie wanted to aswell it was understandable. It was dark, Eva had been waiting for hours.

Not because she was early but because Eva liked to admire the night sky atop the roof. Years ago they had found the derelict building whilst exploring knockturn alley.

The lot itself wasn't much but the view from the roof was extroadinary. The street lights weren't visible but every single star was. As Eva laid on the chilled surface she thought of herself as a star, floating around in the universe just trying to get by in life.

A burning gas of light awaiting its inevitable end. The temperature must of been below freezing, Eva's breaths were visible in the dark as she shivered under her hoodie.

"I'm a bit a late.." a figure said from the shadows attempting to climb onto the roof. Eva couldn't bring herself to answer, not fully sure if it was a good idea.

"I'm happy you came, for a while I thought you might not read my letter"

Eva rolled on her side.

Jessie was in view now, she trudged towards the chimney to sit on opting to give Eva some space, Her face rose-coloured from the wind.

"I know you musn't be happy with me.."

Eva's heart began to pump faster, she felt tears prickle in her eyes.

"I have every right not to be happy with you" Eva sat up facing the guilty girl, her voice cracking as she spoke. "You left me-

"- I know" Jessie sighed.

"No you don't know, my own house was pitted against me. They didn't even try to hide their distaste but you let them Jessie, you stood aside while I was being isolated and did nothing. How can you explain that to me?"

"I'm sorry.."

"You promised me we wouldn't be like those people, YOU PROMISED ME YOU WOULD ALWAYS BE THERE FOR ME, THAT I COULD COUNT ON YOU"

"BUT WHERE WERE YOU?" Eva roared standing up all of a sudden, the emotion running thick in her throat.

"I WAS TRYING TO PROTECT YOU" Jessie roared back, the wind blowing at her hair. Eva glared at her.

"Protect me, since when have I ever needed protection?" Eva exclaimed outraged. Jessie visibly began to sob.

"We aren't children anymore Eva, we had to do this, we had to distance ourselves from you"

"Who had to, Jessie who?" Eva spoke puzzled moving towards her.

"Adam and I"

"I don't understand" Eva whispered, tears falling. Jessie hesitantly wrapped her arms around Eva.

"The deatheaters are recruiting again, they wanted Adam and I" Jessie spoke, Eva teary eyed looked up at the girl.

"And he's so scared Eva, as if they watch his every move" Jessie sobbed uncontrollably.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"They would of wanted you too, Eva we couldn't do that to you" Jessie stated as if it were obvious.

"There was me thinking you hated me" Eva laughed slightly which seemed inappropriate.

"No one could hate you Eva Smith, you're too damn good for this earth"

"Does Adam support this?" Eva asked. Jessie looked more visibly upset.

"I don't think so but each day his beliefs and thoughts are warped by fear"

Eva nodded bringing Jessie into another hug.

"I won't let you do this alone, even if I have to join the deatheaters" Eva said sternly.