Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Jace and Katie dropped us off at the old hiking trails. When they left, me and Cousin stared at the entrance to the trail, and neither of us were amused.

The entrance, if you could even call it that, was completely engulfed by weeds. "Damn it." I say more to myself than to Cousin, "We should have just gone to the park."

Cousin doesn't respond, and because there's nothing better for us to do, I step into the weeds, and beckon for him to follow.

I walk slow, not wanting to tire him out quickly. We are side-by-side. His arm slightly touching mine as we hike.

The path begins to get steeper, as we move up. Not even twenty minutes into the exercise, I decide to rest for a bit, pretending it's because I'm tired, and not because I'm scared he'll push himself too far.

The path hikes up in some large hills. I remember that one of the hills is high enough to see the outskirts of town, but I don't believe we will be climbing that high this time. I doubt Cousin could even make it half way up that one.

Instead I chose an easier hill, one that looks out across a few creeks. It's still pretty steep, but doable if we take our time.

When we begin moving again, I faintly hear the hushed sound of water. "Do you hear that?" I ask him, walking closer to the edge of the hill, I peer down to see a large creek. The water was rushing through several feet down. The drop is a scary one, and it would be a miracle if someone fell and survived.

Cousin also looks down, and I get scared he might jump. I make sure to keep close to him, and if gets any nearer to the ledge, I was going to grab him.

He didn't get any closer.

I studied him, not realizing I was doing so. The way he held himself, his back straighter, his gaze fixed on the water, but a very faint emotion of knowing existence in his stature. It is not confidence I detect in him, but an understanding that he is who he is, and that is not an animal, or an anomaly in a cage.

I can see it in the way he walks, in the way he still keeps his shoulders hunched but he doesn't slither down in front of others like he used to. I know it is going to take him years to adapt to a normal life, and even then, the trauma he has experienced will never allow him to feel and be entirely normal, but I don't think he will always be the way he is now.

When he realizes I'm staring at him, I quickly look away, returning to the path, and encourage him to start walking with me. He does.

If I'm not mistaken, I think he enjoys walking. He is always quiet, but the way he looks around, is different than when we first escaped the circus. He is not focusing on his lack of strength but the scenery around him, and I admit, I find it kind of cute.

It takes over an hour, but we reach the top. Even I have to take several deep breaths. The sight was worth it, though. We look down, the large creek, and the tops of the trees are abundant. In the distance are the larger hills, ones that we could perhaps hike a different day.

I see a miniature water fall, where the creek leads up to, and I have a desire to walk there one day. Cousin looks out, and I let him admire the view, as I check the time on my phone.

It's not even two yet. Jace wouldn't be back to pick us up until nearly six.

I sit on the edge of the cliff, and Cousin slowly moves to sit beside me.

I dangle my legs over the edge. "You've adapted to exercise pretty well you know." I compliment him, "Your body has endured more than most, and yet, you're also able to do more than many."