153. A Darkened Silhouette

CAELAN STIFFENED INSTANTLY, his eyebrows furrowed and his gaze glued to the door

CAELAN STIFFENED INSTANTLY, his eyebrows furrowed and his gaze glued to the door. "Are you expecting anyone?" he asked Ravenna.

She frowned a bit, glancing back at the window in front of her. The sun had risen quite a bit into the sky, bathing the elaborate landscape in a wash of warm tones. It glistened against the brilliant turquoise water that sliced through the rolling hills. "Alyss," she murmured under her breath. Her frown twisted into a small grimace as she returned her gaze to Caelan. "It is probably just Alyss, here to wake me and get me ready for the day."

He arched an eyebrow at her. "That is a little ostentatious," he remarked.

"What can I say?" she responded with a chuckle, "I am a queen."

From the corner of her eyes, she saw him roll his eyes toward the heavens. The corners of her lips twitched upward into a small smile. "It is probably unwise for you to be discovered here," she remarked. "Especially considering I am supposed to be a grieving widow."

"It would be quite scandalous, wouldn't it?" He chuckled. A sigh escaped him and his gaze flickered toward her. "I will make my grand entrance then later," he told her.

She watched as he lifted his palm, pressing it flat against the glass that separated her room from the world outside. A sliver of bright white magic traced the outside of his hand. Her eyes widened in amazement as his hand sank through the glass, protruding from the other side. The sliver of magic that sliced through the glass grew larger, as Caelan stepped through. He hovered outside the window on a flat panel of light, far above the earth. He turned to face her and then closed one eye in a wink.

Ravenna rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest, watching with mild interest as white magic engulfed his body. It stretched and morphed, growing larger and larger. As the magic faded, the familiar form of a dragon appeared. The dragon's massive wings forced gusts of wind against the glass, causing it to rattle in front of her. It lifted higher into the air and then flew off, zipping above the picturesque landscape until it became a mere dot, lost within the vibrant colors and textures surrounding it.

Another knock sounded against the door. This time a concerned voice accompanied it. "Your majesty?" Alyss called. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," Ravenna answered. "You may enter."

She turned around to face the door, her arms still crossed over her chest. The bedroom door was pushed open and Alyss stepped inside, a slight scowl present on her face. Miera followed behind her with a tray of breakfast pastries in her hands. Both hesitated when they spotted Ravenna standing beside the glass wall.

Miera's entire face seemed to brighten. "You seem to be quite happy this morning," she stated cheerfully. "Did you rest well?"

Ravenna blinked, slightly taken off guard. "Yes," she lied through her teeth. Her finger absently touched the skin where her talisman used to rest.