158. So Easy

RAVENNA DESPISED FLYING

Ice cold air bit at her cheeks. Strands of her hair lashed out wildly, whipping at her face, her back, and even the rigid scales that she clung to with all of her strength.

The world beneath her appeared to be covered in mush — clusters of greens, browns, and bright oranges that covered the landscape like algae growing on weathered stones. Tendrils of alabaster clouds entwined within the mush, weaving through the bright colors like thread in a tapestry.

It was beautiful. But petrifying.

Ravenna's jaw clenched tight. Her grip on Caelan's scales tightened. She forced herself to keep her eyes open and to watch the ground that moved beneath them. It almost appeared to flow like a river, as the various shades of the mush shifted from one to another. It appeared so far away from her — the very notion allowed for a bead of nausea to form at the back of her throat.

Slowly, the world beneath her began to grow closer. The mush began to separate and formed a sea of individual, misshapen treetops. Those treetops grew larger and larger, until she could even see slivers of dark brown bark poking through the clusters of brightly colored leaves that decorated each tree. It was not long before the trees began to thin out. In the distance, she could see an opening — a field of grass and wildflowers.

Dirt and dust exploded across the ground as Caelan landed atop it. Ravenna squeezed her eyes shut, attempting to fight the sudden urge to cough as the dust flooded her lungs. Once the dust settled down, Caelan shifted around. He dropped lower, closer to the ground.

Ravenna forced her fingers to release the scales that she'd been holding onto. An ache blossomed along her bones in her fingers, her muscles pulsating beneath her skin. She grimaced and slid to the ground. A pained grunt escaped her. "Ouch," she mumbled.

"Are you alright?" Caelan asked. There was a flash of bright white as he transformed back into his humanoid form. He examined her, his eyes hard.

"I am fine," she answered unconvincingly. The pain was evident within her voice. It flickered through her body like a wildfire, spreading further through her veins with each heartbeat. She squeezed her eyes shut.

A strong hand touched her shoulder, fingertips digging into the muscles there. Another grimace tugged at her facial features and she opened her eyes. Caelan watched her expression carefully, his own hidden behind a veil of stoicism. There was another flash of bright white and something warm flowed from his fingertips, into her shoulder. The warm sensation instantly snuffed out most of the flames that blistered through her veins.

She sighed and her shoulders slumped down slightly. "Thank you," she muttered under her breath.

"Bravery will get you nowhere," he told her. "If it hurts, say something. Otherwise it could get worse."

A seed of frustration sprouted within her stomach. Her jaw clenched and she glanced down at her chest. "How long will this take to heal?" she asked.

"It will take some time," he answered. "Just have patience."

She stared at him for a moment, a single eyebrow raised. "That is a lot easier said than done," she remarked.

He chuckled. His gaze flickered toward something in the distance. Ravenna turned toward it, following his gaze to find the familiar walls of Zeporia towering above the trees that surrounded their small clearing.

"I was able to get us pretty close to the front gate," he said. "We just need to join the line and gain access into the city."

As they approached the entrance to Zeporia, the sensation of déjà vu washed over Ravenna. A long line of people stretched out in front of the massive gated entrance. Imperial guards weaved amongst the crowd.

"How exactly do you plan to get past the guards?" Ravenna asked, her tone nonchalant. "Especially now that we are technically fugitives to the crown."

"Ah," Caelan said with a crafty grin on his face. He tapped his forehead with a glowing finger. "You forget. You are traveling with an official Blood Knight."

She watched as his white magic engulfed him whole. As it faded, a familiar face appeared — a face with only slight changes. Mylo. Ravenna reached out and lightly touched the bright red cape that billowed out behind him, fastened to his armor. "I must admit that this is a little strange," she muttered.

He arched an eyebrow at her. "You have been in my presence for numerous hours," he said. "Even as Mylo."

She shook her head. "I just didn't know that it was you," she said.

Caelan chuckled lightly, but did not respond otherwise. Instead, he simply started to walk forward, toward the various humans that lingered at the city entrance. Ravenna followed hastily. As they approached the gate, several Imperial guards met them. One glanced them over, his dark eyes narrowed with suspicion.

"We are here on official royal business," Caelan said.

He handed the Imperial guard a rolled up scroll. The guard unraveled it and scanned it over. He handed it back to Caelan, bowing his head slightly. "Please enjoy your visit to Zeporia, sir," he told Caelan. "Might I recommend a local inn?"

"That will not be necessary," Caelan answered him with a warm smile. "We already have accommodations. I appreciate your kindness though."

The Imperial guard nodded once more and then stepped aside, granting them access to the city. Ravenna followed Caelan through the gate with a small chuckle.

Caelan glanced down at her, his brows furrowed slightly with interest. "What is so funny?" he asked her.

"It was just so easy," she offered as an explanation. "Last time, I had to sneak into Zeporia through an underground tunnel system. Remind me next time to just pose as a guard"

He chuckled. "You'll need to master your magic first," he told her. "The spell required to shape-shift into other forms is very advanced."

"I know," she said with a sigh. "Don't remind me."

~

hey friends!

Sorry for the delay in todays chapter! I spent most of today dealing with work and my pesky stomach. I seriously appreciate your continued patience with me!! I hope that you are all having a fantastic week so far!! ❤❤