Chapter 19

Anna ran into the house to see Accalia in Cassie's arms. Rhys, Drew, and Calvin were talking to each other at the kitchen table. They all stopped talking when they heard Anna come in. Rhys stood and stared at her. Anna looked down at herself to see that none of the blood was visible. Her scarf hid her bloody lips and chin.

"Who was out there?" Rhys asked.

"It was a vampire hunter," Anna said.

"How would you know that?" Calvin asked.

"Who else would carry a crossbow on them and ask about vampires?" Anna asked.

Rhys ran his fingers through his hair. He snapped at Drew and Calvin, motioning them to stand. They followed Rhys's command. Anna licked her lips to taste the remains of Darren's sweet blood.

"We need to go," Rhys said. "Now."

"Let's go get our bags," Drew said.

The three of them ran up the stairs. Anna looked over her shoulder to see Accalia burying her face in Cassie's neck.

"I should go get Oz," Cassie said.

"I'm so sorry," Anna said.

"This isn't your fault," she said. "We should have known murdering most werewolf hunters would have some major consequences."

Cassie stepped toward the hallway, but she froze when she heard a knock at the door. Her eyes grew wide as she looked over at Anna. Cassie let out a shaky breath before setting Accalia down on her feet.

"Stay here," Cassie said. "I'll get that."

Cassie crossed her arms over her chest as she walked across the lodge and over to the front door. Accalia ran over to the bottom of the staircase. She got on her toes so that she could peek over the banister.

"How can I help you?" Anna heard Cassie say.

"We are not here to start any trouble," Jonathan said.

Anna's lips spread into a smile. She never thought that she was going to hear her brother's voice again. She hurried over to the staircase. She crouched down behind Accalia and looked through the wooden bars holding up the railing.

Jonathan had a thick winter jacket on. She knew that a collection of blades were strapped to his chest underneath that jacket. A pair of goggles were sitting on top of his blond hair. He had a crossbow on his back. Three men Anna recognized from training in P.E.I. were standing behind Jonathan. Anna was tempted to run toward him and throw her arms around his neck, but she knew she could not do that. He'd murder his own sister if he knew what she had become.

"We are just looking for the vampires in this house," Jonathan said. "You give them up and no one in your family will get hurt."

"I don't know what you are talking about," Cassie said. "Would you like me to get my husband?"

"Oz knows what he did," Jonathan said. "Maybe you should go get him."

"Oz!" Cassie yelled out.

The floorboards in the hallway creaked as Oz hurried down the hall. He rushed over to the door when he saw Jonathan.

"What's going on here, gentlemen?" Oz asked.

"We know that vampires are living in this house," Jonathan said. "Give them to us and we'll leave you alone."

"How would you know that?" Oz asked.

"We know wolves didn't murder that bar full of hunters," Jonathan said. "One of our hunters has also just been attacked. We tracked the footsteps back to this house."