Chapter 9

The palace had started to come into view. "Wow! It's so pretty!" Cinderella gasped in astonishment. "It looks so fancy. Look at all the lights!"

The carriage pulled up in front of the staircase. Two soldiers stood guard as still as statues as we stepped out of the carriage. Their withering stare ceased when our magic coachman handed us two invitations.

Is this even legal? These are technically magically forged invitations, though to be fair, we were invited in the first place but our original invitations were ripped up so... I just won't think too much about it.

We presented our invitations to the guards and made our way up the steps. Thankfully nobody noticed our entrance as we entered the garden set up with tables and chairs. Elegant waiters walked around holding platters of fancy looking food. Two suave gentlemen immediately invited Cinderella for a dance which she graciously accepted. Despite not having proper instruction on how to dance, her movements were graceful and she had watched from a corner as the dance instructor taught Poppy and me.

"I think she'll be okay on her own." I bit my lip as my fingers tingled with nervousness. The real question was if I would be okay on my own. I had nobody to talk to and I felt too anxious to start small talk with stuck up aristocrats. Eyeing the tiny snacks carried by the waiters I decided the best course of action would be to steal lots of food and hide on a balcony till it was time to leave.

The night air created tiny goosebumps on my skin but I ignored it. There was nothing I could do, the fairy godmother hadn't given me a shawl with my dress.

"You seem rather cold." A voice echoed behind me as a charming blonde boy, about my age stepped out of the ballroom and onto the balcony.

"Sorry, was this balcony yours?" I picked up the plate ready to go at a moment's notice.

"Not exactly, I just need a place to hide. My father has been introducing me to a bunch of foreign important people." He sighed. "What about you, why are you hiding here?"

"I'm not hiding!" My ears flushed pink in embarrassment from being caught. "I'm just... resting."

"Ah yes, and I assume you've been resting the whole night seeing as I haven't seen you before." He chuckled a stupidly cute chuckle.

"Not the whole night!" I blurted. "I arrived late so that's why you haven't seen me around."

"Oh, did you arrive with the cute pink girl?" He asked.

"You mean Cinderella?" I tilted my head. He must be talking about her, after all, she stood out more than anyone.

"I guess? I don't know her name, mind introducing her to me?" The boy grinned mischievously.

"Hah! As if I would let her talk to someone like you." I snorted. "She deserves a prince and a happily ever after. Not some shallow creep who only likes her because she's pretty."

"Hey, who are you calling a creep?" He pouted. "I could be her happily ever after!"

"Gross," I gagged at his cheesy pick up line. "Definitely never say that to her face."

"Or would you rather I be your happily ever after?" He leaned closer to me and I pushed his face away.

"Nope, nope, don't even go there. It's not funny." I huffed as he laughed in amusement. "Just for that you should go get me another plate of snacks." I shoved the empty plate in his direction.

"Fine fine." His laughter had barely fizzled out. "Actually, I know a place with better food."

My ears perked up. "Better food? I'm listening..."