Chapter 16

● Present Day ●

Present Day

"Amarha." He whispered that only came out as thin air. It fell inaudible to his own ears.

Weariness and dizziness overweighing the pain as he closed his eyes and dozed off.

She saw him mumble something but it was out of her earshot. She ripped a piece off from the sticky tape that she had picked up from the box and placed it over the new gauze, securing it. When she believed she was done. She covered him back with the blanket before standing up and leaving.

Amarha walked out of the ward, now addressing Yameen as she saw him standing near the reception. "I have changed the bandage and now he is sleeping under the effect of medicines."

"Thank you."

She nodded and left to see her other patients.

Doctor Osman, the head doctor called Mohsin later then.

They were leaving for home when Amarha asked Mohsin if everything was okay.

He replied, "Yes. It's just that Dr. Osman wanted to ask if Yousaf from bed 1 was treated fine or not."

"Why so?"

"Did you know that he was the current M.N.A?"

"Of course not."

"Then why would you visit him?"

"Because i had attended his operation with you. So that's why I stopped by to ask how he was doing."

Mohsin thought for a while and then nodded.

"What happened? Why are you asking all this?"

"No reason." They were in on-call room. "I will see you in the morning." He gave her a polite smile before exiting the room.

***

"How is he doing now?" Khalil asked Rubeena, holding a newspaper.

"He is fine. He wanted to go back to his house but i retrained. We can't leave him like this on his own."

"Acha. You did right."

"I am worried, Khalil. He was shot and this is horrifying me out of my mind." She suppressed a sob. "That little child who i had cradled, who had slept in my arms was shot. Someone wanted to kill him. Is that not scaring you?"

"Look Rubi. Look at me. That's what these hypocrites want, to weaken us by doing such things. But you never ever succumb in, never let tears wet your eyes."

Khalil looked into those teary eyes of hers and remembered how she had been the most beautiful woman of all time. How her beauty breathed in all their four sons.

"Don't be sad nor be ungrateful. Don't you see Allah has given our son a new life, another chance to make things right."

"B-but my son, he would have been in so much pain. He is in pain. He could have left." And once again she broke down in her husband's arms.