Chapter Twenty-Five

I look at Arjun's tensed face; he clenches his jaw, making it appear sharper than it is. The hand that he uses to steer the wheel, curls tightly around the steering wheel, his other hand clenched into a fist on his thigh.

I grimace at Arjun's countenance. "It's not what you think it is, Arjun," I tell him softly.

"I don't know what to think of it," he says blankly. "What does one think about his fiancée's best friend texting her to profess his love?" Though Arjun is clearly trying not to let his anger get the better of him, I can feel it radiating off of him.

"It's Sid, Arjun. He--" I break off, not knowing how to explain to him. Taking in a breath, I try to process my thoughts before explaining, "He probably wants me to cover for him or something."

"That's how people ask for favours now; by professing love?" he questions incredulously. "I didn't ask for an explanation anyway. Go on, text him back, you might break his heart otherwise," he mocks.

I sigh, sinking into the seat. "Arjun," I call softly, holding his free hand. I gently uncurl his long fingers, marvelling at how long they are. Intertwining his fingers with mine, I pull his warm hand closer to me, leaning my cheek against it. "Siddharth has been my best friend since we were five and six. He's just that, my best friend."

His stance relaxes ever-so-slightly, but he refuses to acknowledge it. "So I'll text him back?" I tease. "I have to say it back, or he'll feel bad."

He turns to glare at me in a warning. I try to hold myself from laughing at how cute he looks when he's jealous, but it doesn't work.

Chuckles escape my mouth, causing him to scowl. He pulls his hand back, out of my hold and keeps his eyes trained on the road like a petulant child.

"Fine, let me ask what he wants at least," I say, but he still refuses to look at me.

"Do whatever you want," he says sourly, "He's your best friend, after all."

"Arjun," I admonished lightly. "He's Siddharth. I've known the guy all my life! It's not a romantic confession, it's a plea for help."

"Why are you telling me this?" he asks off-handedly, implying he hadn't asked.

If he doesn't want to know, why should I tell him anything? Rolling my eyes, I ask Siddharth what he wants.

What do you want, you donkey?

Bad date. SOS.

Siddharth never fails to disappoint. I knew he wanted a favour. Arjun got worked up for nothing. And this donkey is sitting at a wrecked date, texting me to ruin the few minutes I got with Arjun.

Fuck off, Sid.

He'll be fine. If anything, it's the girl that's in bad company. How girls agree to go out with him is a mystery to me.

I remain silent for the rest of the ride home, hoping Arjun will see sense, but remaining silent to save the embarrassment. 'Why are you telling me?' Well, if he doesn't want to know why tell him anything?

I fold my hands over my stomach and look out the window. I feel my heart dip with every minute we get closer to home. I glance at Arjun from the corner of my eyes, but he doesn't make any effort to talk to me.

If he asked what Sid was texting about, I would tell him without another thought. It isn't a big deal.

Maybe to him, it is, a voice creeps up from the back of my mind.

What would I do if I saw the same text in his phone? From a female best friend? I wouldn't want that. But if it happened, I would demand an explanation, maybe fight with him-- using words, not silence.