Kabanata 49

Dencio looks at his grandson with unfathomable eyes but there is a longing that was rare to be seen. Humigpit ang hawak nito sa armrest habang nakaupo at hindi mapunit ang tingin sa apong akala niya ay patay na pero ngayon ay nakatayo sa harapan niya. His other grandson was alive!

"Please continue the event." Tila ba walang nangyari kanina at casual na nagsalita si Vincenzo. the n she walk out, following the woman who went outside.

"You know this, right?" baling ni Grandma Helen kay Mikael na masayang nanonood sa mga nangyayari. She wouldn't doubt him if it were never for a fact that he hinted something and his eyes were flashing something. Matanda na siya pero hindi siya aabot sa ganitong estado at pamamahala kung hindi niya alam ang mga meaning sa likod ng simpleng salita at pagtingin nito.

Ngumiti lang si Mikael dito at tiningnan ang matandang si Dencio na hindi pa rin makapaniwala sa nangyari. Tanda, 'wag kang painosente dito. Vincenzo appeared right now not just to show that he was alive he was back to reclaim what is his.

-----

Henrietta washed her hands on the sink and wiped it using her tissue. Tumingin siya sa salamin at nakita ang mukha niya na nakakunot ang noo. Something flashed beneath the surface of her hardened expression and her hands grip the edge of the sink. Her hair lying gently over her shoulder bones, kissing her soft skin as it glows under the light. Muling bumalik ang nangyari kanina sa isipan niya.

Vincenzo and Vicencio? So he has a brother? And on top of that they were identical. Sino ang paniniwalaan niya? She chuckled darkly. Nabuhay ka nga ulit Henrietta pero hindi ka pa malakas para talunin ang kalaban mo. Ni hindi mo nga naisipan na may kambal ang asawa mo—asawa nga ba niya?

"Let's talk." Henrietta slightly jumped when she heard a deep voice making her spine shiver. She looks at where it came from and her eyes meet his dark ones.

"Sino ba ang nasa harap ko? Si Vincenzo o si Vicencio?" she asked sarcastically. Her emotions are not easy to read but for some reasons Vincenzo can see what she was thinking about. Her eyes are like a deep ocean, staring at him in guard.

Hindi 'yon ang gustong makita ni Vincenzo. He gazed upon her whole and the eyes that always held no emotions suddenly turned gently and gloomy. The girl has eyes like the most precious of stones, and it seems she has the universe on her.

Vincenzo didn't want to waste time and he locked the door and went to her, trapping her between the counters as he leaned forward closely.

Henrietta pursed her lips and her heart pounded loudly.

"I owe you an apology and explanation, wife. I'm sorry." His warm breath fanned on her face and at pinigilan ni Henrietta na huwag pumikit.

She smelled his scent and something struck her mind. T-this scent... this scent was familiar to her!

"Did you change your perfume?"

Malalaking matang tumingin siya sa lalaki. "You..."

"You are right. I'm that man." Ngumiti si Vincenzo dito at marahang hinaplos ang buhok ng dalaga. Tinulak siya ni Henrietta palayo at inayos ang postura.

"How?"

"If Vicencio can impersonate me, then I can take advantage of that, too," he answered casually at sumandal sa pinto ng cubicle. Kinuha nito ang lighter at pinaglaruan sa kamay. His legs were crossed and his left hand was in his pocket. But the majestic presence is still there.

"Ano pa?"

"Ako ang taong nakilala mo noon sa party that your grandma introduced me too. That's the first time you saw me. Ako rin ang nakasama mo noong pinakilala kita sa pamilya ko. And at the bar, where you see me with a girl. It was all planned, wife. Pati ang babaeng 'yon ay kasama sa plano."

"Did you know why Vicencio couldn't trace your mom easily and was having a hard time doing it?"

Hindi umimik si Henrietta, inaabangan ang susunod na sasabihin ni Vincenzo. Her hands trembled and Vincenzo caught it with his keen eyes. He stopped playing at the lighter at ibinulsa na ito.

"Dahil alam ko kung nasaan ang mommy mo." Vincenzo swiftly grabbed her waist and pulled her into his chest.

"Where is she then?" Her eyes spark in determination. "And let go, I'm not forgiving you yet, Vincenzo. Hindi ko magawang magtiwala sa'yo. What if hindi din ikaw ang totoong Vincenzo? At ang totoo ay si Vicencio?"

He smiles, pero hindi iyon umabot sa mga mata niya. It hurts him that she is doubtful but it's all his fault. He smiled even though his heart was uncomfortable hearing her words. His jaw clenched as his grip on her tightened a little bit, not too tight to hurt her.

"You fall in love with him? Hindi ba't business lang ito?"

"I won't say fall for him, but I care."

He laughed. He laughs with no humor.

"How about me? I've been thriving alone. Vicencio enjoys the things that could have been mine. And he successfully gained your care for him. How about me? That should be mine, Henrietta." Then, he let's go. "But giving up is not in my vocabulary. If he can make you feel cared for then I can make you fall in love with me." A small smile played on his lips, the way he said those words were like vanilla pudding–splendid and warm.

Bumalik ang dating emotionless na mukha nito at tumingin kay Henrietta ng malamig.

"After all, you are my lawful wife."

Bago lumabas si Vincenzo ay hinubad nito ang coat at isinuot sa dalaga.

"Keep it. I don't want you to catch a cold." Hindi niya magawang magalit dito. Henrietta is the reason why he is here today. She was the reason why he woke up everyday to gain the power he painstakingly worked for without relying on his family's name.

He wants to stand on the pinnacle with her and to be a deserving man on her side. And he's here. She's so close yet so far.

Tinapunan niya ulit ito ng tingin. Nakatayo pa rin ang dalaga. She had a beauty that made those models and celebrities pale in comparison when she was placed next to them, she was something robust and real.

As he closed the door the last thing he said resounded in Henrietta's mind.

"If you want to see your mom alive, then you should follow what I say. No objections."

-----

© _eysteambun