Chapter 4: A Boy Named Charlie Chapman

Outside, Mr. Fletcher was looking around the building with his dogs. Inside the bedroom, Jaliya and Akela were tending to the boy while Mary studied at the paper that fell. She could not believe what was happening. A white boy is in their bedroom. Her skin crawled at the thought of what would happen if the Fletchers caught this sight. After all, it was unholy for someone white to congregate with negros. But at the same time, she was curious. Why would a white boy leave the orphanage?

"You've been looking at that for a long time now." Mary looked up from the paper to see Regina. "Wanna tell us what it is?"

"Take a look at this." She shows her friends the paper.

"What is it?" asked Akela.

"Don't you see? It's a map to the North. This is the miracle I wished for."

"Great, you found a map," Cato snarked. "But what does that have to do with him?"

"Isn't it obvious? He was escaping," Regina explained. "He's going up North like us. Maybe he can help us."

"I doubt it. No white boy would ever help negros."

"Wouldn't hurt to ask," Leon replied.

"No...no, not there..." Mary and her friends heard mumbling. They looked over and saw the boy laying in one of their beds with a patched-up arm. "N-not the dark. No...no." He woke up and saw the orphans surrounding him. Startled, he rose and backed up against the headboard. "Whoa! Wait! H-how did I-ow!" He felt a sharp pain in his arm. "What happened? Why is my arm broken?"

"You took a nasty fall and broke your arm," Mary replied.

"We fixed it for you," Jaliya added.

"I made the bandage," said Akela.

"I carried you in," Regina butted in. Soon, all of the kids were talking about what happened. The boy looked over to Mary, confused. She just shrugged and yelled:

"Ago!"

"Ame!" The kids were silent again.

"Okay...." The boy sits up on the bed. "What floor am I on anyway?"

"Oh, right. How rude of us. This is the bedroom for colored orphans."

"Yeah, I can pretty much see that. African Americans. Very nice."

"I don't like this," Cato griped. "Not one bit." Mary just ignored him.

"So, who are you, Mr...?"

"Charles Chapman." He took her hand and kissed it. "You can just call me 'Charlie'."

"Charlie Chapman?" Jaliya repeated.

"Catchy, ain't it?"

"Right. Anyway, where are you from?"

"Oh, just a little place where dreams are made of. A place where the old saying "if you can make it there, you can make it anyway" comes to play."

"Georgia?"

"No! New York." This response is met with many exclaims of wonder and curiosity.

"Fantastic. Just what we need: a Yankee."

"Cato..."

"What? You don't think I know a Yank when I see one?"

"Woah, easy, pops. Discrimination's illegal where I come from."

"Really?"

"Yep." He gets out of bed and walks around. "New York's located up North."

"You're from up North?"

"Born and raised."

The orphans were astonished! A white boy from up North. As the children talked and asked questions, Mary remembers the map in her hands. "Excuse me. Mr. Chapman, is this map yours?"

Charlie's eyes widened when he saw the map in her hands. "Uhh...who wants to know?"

"Well, it did fall out of your hands, and you just said that you were from New York. I'd say you're exactly who we're looking for."

"Really?"

"The answer to our prayers, actually..."

Charlie glances around to see the girls looking at him eagerly and giggling.

"Well, call me a miracle, miss, 'cause that is mine." This response is met with multiple applause.

"And what brings you to Alabama, Mr. Chapman?" Violet asked.

"Why...all the beautiful southern ladies, of course."

"Cheeky devil." Regina slaps him on the back as the girls swooned at his comment.

"Whoa! Okay...wow."

"How did you get here, Mr. Chapman?" asked Akela.

"Well, ma'am, I-Uh...um...that information is not important right now, but I can tell you: New York is an amazing sight. Lots of jobs, plantation, blacks, and whites, living and working together, and the best part: no one is ashamed of their color."

"You see, guys? I told you there's hope for us. We're all gonna escape this orphanage and travel to New York, and Mr. Chapman's gonna help us, right?"

"That's exactly....wait. Hold up. Did you say 'escape'?"

"Yes."

"...uh-huh...I think I hear Mr. Fletcher looking for me. So, I'm just gonna leave for a minute. Okay? Thanks." With the speed of light, Charlie runs out the door.

"Huh...he must have very good hearing," said Jaliya.

"Well, it seems that our "answer to our prayers" just left us," Cato snarked.

"I'll go talk to him. Just stay quiet. If Mr. Fletcher comes by, you know what to do."