Chapter 7: A Really Big Truck Arrives

Outside, Charlie met up with Leon behind the building as he was chopping wood by the shed.

"Hey, Charlie," he greeted happily. "Thanks for helping me with the wood here."

"No need, Leon," Charlie replied as he picks up a log of wood. "I just thought I repay you guys for taking care of my arm."

"No problem." Leon puts down the ax and picks up a small pile of firewood. "So, did you have a job?"

"No, actually. I was more into education."

"Education?"

"You know, school. Where kids go to learn stuff. Kids like you and me."

"Does New York have schools?"

"Well, sure. Lots of them."

"Wow..." Leon then asked Charlie something he never expected. "Wait, Charlie...why aren't you in school?"

"What? Uhh....early holiday. I thought it would be best if I took a break from all the activities, you know?"

"That's how I feel about work sometimes." Unexpectedly, Leon bumped into Akela and caused her to drop the folded sheets and him to drop the piles of wood he was carrying.

"Leon! Oh, I'm sorry. I-I didn't see you coming."

"It's alright. It was my fault." Akela was scrambling to pick up the sheets when Leon picked them up for her. He carried them to the bedroom, with Akela following him.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

Akela hands him the pile of wood he was carrying earlier. When he took it, his hand brushed up against hers. Leon looked at her and smiled while she just looked away. She began to walk away when Leon said: "Akela."

"Yes?"

"...I like your hair."

"Oh..." Akela blushes and strokes her long, wavy hair. "Thank you." She smiles a little at the compliment and proceeds to work on the beds. Leon walked back to where Charlie was waiting.

"What was that?" asked Charlie.

"Nothing. I was just...y'know, helping out...with stuff."

"Uh-huh."

While walking to the boiler room, Charlie starts to feel the ground rumble. In the kitchen, dishes rattled, and the floors shook. Sensing trouble, Mary ran to the bedroom and looked out the window, followed by Regina and Cato. She and her friends saw a large truck backing up to the cellar. Then, they saw men unloading creates and wheeling them. Down below, Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher were up to no good.

"W-what's all this, love?"

"In these crates lies our future. Last night, I've discovered a new way to prevent a possible negro rebellion. If word gets out that we're letting those cretins escape, we'll be out of business. So, I bought a little toy to fix that." She hands her husband a manual and walks out of the cellar.

"So...I should put it t-together, yes?"