Chapter 8: Charlie's Promise

When the night came, the orphans, along with Charlie, were having another meeting.

"This isn't good, you guys," Mary warned.

"Whatever's in those boxes, they're for us, and I guarantee you, it ain't softer pillows," said Regina.

"Mary, when are we gonna escape?" asked Akela. "I'm afraid the Fletchers might hurt us."

"Hey, yank boy! Didn't you say you were gonna get us to New York?!" Soon, the black orphans were crowding around Charlie. Mary stepped in front of him.

"Everyone, please! Let's no lose our heads. Charlie's doing the best he can, right?"

"Uh...y-yeah. Of course."

"So, we can't give up now. No one is gonna hurt us. We'll escape, sooner than you think."

"We better!"

As the children were talking and clamoring, Mary noticed Charlie slipping out of the room. She followed him as he walked down the hall.

"Charlie? You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired, that's all."

"Charlie, please understand. They're just scared. I think you can help us."

Then, Mary did something she never dared to do. She took Charlie's hand and held it in her own. Charlie's eyes widened at this sudden feeling, but soon, he didn't mind. In fact, he felt comfortable. No girl had ever held his hand, let alone a black girl. This is the first time that he- a white boy- was helping someone like Mary. Mary felt the same way. Throughout her life, she'd always been distrustful of whites. She'd never thought one from New York would be here in a place like this. Still, there was something in her that wants to believe that he wants to help her and her friends.

Suddenly, they heard someone clearing their throat. Mary and Charlie looked to see Nick and Joseph.

"We're not interrupting something, are we?"

"No!"

"No. We were just talking."

"Not doing anything at all."

"O...kayy. Anyway, how 'bout that list, eh?"

"Right. It's under my mattress. I'll get it." Charlie watched Mary as she walks back to the bedroom to retrieve the list.

"So, how 'bout that dame, huh?"

"What?"

"Don't play coy, mate. We saw you ogling."

"No. I know what you guys are thinking, but I'm just helping here. Besides, it'll never work. We all know that."

"Never doubt the future, Charles."

Mary comes back with the list. "Here you go."

"Wonderful. We'll get started right away."

"Wait," said Charlie. "Before you guys leave, I want you to meet a couple of friends.

Nick and Joseph follow Charlie into the room where they saw the orphans. Suddenly, everyone fell silent when they saw Nick and Joseph.

"Alright, everyone. Listen up. These are my good friends, Nick and Joseph. Ever since I came here, they've helped me with getting things that I need to escape every day." Charlie heard murmurs of curiosity from the orphans.

"Your point is?"

"My point is this morning, I made a deal with them that they will get whatever you want to leave this place. I will make sure that all of you make it to New York safely."

Mary walks over to Charlie and hugs him with great joy. He stood still for a moment but smiled and wrapped his arms around in return. Suddenly, there was a rumble that caused the lights to flicker. Mary and her friends looked out the window. They saw smoke coming from the cellar along with light flashing inside. Mary stood by the window in silence, fearing that the worst is about to come.