Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

8. Duty

CHAPTER EIGHT - DUTY

He couldn't get the image of her bare flesh out of his mind for the rest of the day.

Whenever he tried to focus on his duties, the vision of her lying on her bed invaded his mind and he was reminded of the slow movements of her chest as she breathed, the pressure of her dress causing the swell of her breasts to appear fuller.

"Enough!" Alexander shouted. The soldier that stood opposite him lowered his sword and raised his helmet.

"Is something wrong my lord?" Alexander shook his head and dismissed him quickly. 

What on earth was wrong with him? She was a stranger for pity's sake. A beautiful stranger but looks can be deceiving, he'd learnt that a few times.

Alexander pulled the helmet from his head and let the gentle wind cool his face.

Whatever this girl was doing to him unnerved him.

In the few opportunities they had been in the same room as each other he could not tear his eyes away from her and when they were apart he ached to be near her again.

All these unwanted feelings were abnormal to him. She was a nobody and he was a Prince, however deep this crush was he had to put a stop to it before he got tangled up in it...or her.

"That's enough practicing for today" He said placing his sword into the scabbard around his waist. The solider mimicked his movements and bowed before leaving.

"Alexander!" An all too familiar voice called for him. He turned to see his mother walking hastily towards him.

"Mother?"

"Darling I see that you've been practicing for the tournament tomorrow." Queen Clarissa said as she placed a kiss on each of her son's cheeks.

Tomorrow was the annual jousting tournament in which noble men and knights from all around would get the chance to take on the King and his son in a jousting battle. If they manage to win they are entitled to enjoy a large banquet with the Royal family and their closest subjects.

"You are correct mother." Alexander confirms walking over to the nearest bench and sitting down. His mother follows him.

"How are you feeling?" She inquires.

"Little on edge but I always feel this way before a contest." He says, brushing back the strands of hair that have fallen onto his forehead.

"Not about this silly tournament, about the pressure your father is putting you under to find a suitable wife?"

"I don't really want to talk about that right now." Alexander mumbled.

His mother looked at him sympathetically.

"I know it seems to be the only topic he wishes to discuss with you but he's not getting any younger Alex, he's worried about heirs." She says placing a reassuring hand on his thigh.

"That's the thing though, he has an heir, me!" He says raising his voice.

"Hush Alexander, please not so loud this is a private matter. He knows that and I know that but as King he has the right to worry about the future of his country."

Alexander rolled his eyes, this topic was exhausting and to make matters worse he spotted his father approaching them.

"My boy shall we fit in a bit of practice together before the grand tournament tomorrow?" He says, slapping Alexander on the back making him grunt in irritation.

As the King fixed his armour, the Queen leaned over to Alexander and whispered in his ear "Make him look like a fool for me please".

Alexander looked at his mother in surprise "Mother shouldn't you be supporting father?"

"What can't a Queen have a little fun?" She said winking at him.

"I'm sure I should be doing this for you but I'll let it slip just this once. Come on sleepy head, raise and shine!" Lady Georgiana sang sweetly upon entering Rosalie's room.

Rosalie pulled her dress down over her legs as it had risen quite dramatically during her restless sleep.

"Oh don't worry we're all ladies here, no lingering eyes of wanton men to be seen." Georgiana giggled as she made her way over to the bed.

"How are you feeling now that you've had a little sleep?"

"Much better, thank you my lady." Rosalie said softly, sitting up and climbing out of bed.

"I'm glad to hear. Let's fix this hair before we get started on your duties." Georgiana grabbed her hand and pulled her to the dressing table.

"Only a couple of hours sleep and your hair is a birds nest again, how does this happen? Are you a restless sleeper?" She enquired whilst brushing the tangles out of Rosalie's hair.

I believe I am.

Rosalie laughed and nodded her head, keeping quiet her thoughts.

After Alexander's surprise visit she had tossed and turned in bed analysing his every word.     

"I know you're hiding something"

"I don't want you to keep things from me. I will find out what you are hiding Rose."

The sound of his voice scared her but also unravelled something deep inside her. When the King had mentioned the bodies she knew immediately that they must have been the remains of her Aunt and Uncle. The murders must have carried them with them as they searched for her and then dumped them when they lost hope.

A shiver coursed through her. Why were they after her? Why had that man threatened her, saying that she was next? She was no one to them.

"You're deep in thought" Georgiana said softly, adding the finishing touches to the braided bun she had created.

"It's all a bit new to me. It's going to take me a while to get used to it I think" She smiled at Georgiana in the mirrors reflection.

"Don't worry; I'll be here every step of the way to mentor you."

Lady Georgiana spent the rest of the afternoon teaching Rosalie the ins and outs of being her lady in waiting.

Rosalie would help get her wash and dress each morning, offering her help with her hair and make-up before they would both go down for breakfast in the great hall.

Georgiana could choose whether or not Rosalie could join the family for breakfast or to eat with the other ladies in a separate room. She pointed out that if it was a full family breakfast with the King and Queen she would not be able to join them.

In the day time, Rosalie would accompany the Princess as she ran errands, practiced riding or spent time with her mother and her other ladies.

When Georgiana was not in need of her she was allowed to entertain herself by reading, writing or making dresses.

After lunch Rosalie was making her way to the family library to get a few books when one of the maids approached her, looking rather flustered.

"Are you alright?" Rosalie asked gently.

"I've been asked to take these fresh towels to the Prince's chambers but I just saw him stomp into his room just a few moments ago, he looked ever so angry miss. I'm rather intimidated by him." She blushed.

Hum, you're not alone.

Taking in the frightened maid's appearance, Rosalie offered to take the towels instead.

"Oh thank you miss, that's awfully kind of you." She handed over the towels and pointed in the direction of the Prince's chambers.

"I'll take them to him straight away don't worry" She smiled warmly at the flustered maid.

Please don't be in your room...

icon lock

Show your support for Hannah, and continue reading this story

by Hannah
@4evahannah
[WINNER OF BEST HISTORICAL FICTION STORY IN THE FICTION AWARDS] There...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 45 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @4evahannah.