CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

"I'M GOING to bet my great aunt Louisa's locket," Courtney hummed as she unclasped the necklace from her throat

                    "I'M GOING to bet my great aunt Louisa's locket," Courtney hummed as she unclasped the necklace from her throat. It swung in the air for a moment before she dropped it into the center of the pile. A majority of the bets were rings, coins, and lipsticks. It was never something that truly mattered, but it still proved to be fun regardless. "Wow, that's a big bet," Becca laughed. Her finger tapped against the tip of her nose before she looked down at the bracelet on her arm. "I think she's bluffing," Danielle stated, eyes narrowed at her blonde friend. The edges of her lips were quirked into a slight, almost hidden smirk. The trio sat at her dining room table, the only light in the room coming from the overhead bulbs. Glasses of iced tea sat between them, along with half full bags of potato chips. "Oh, am I?" Courtney replied cockily, eyebrows bouncing.

          "Yeah. I think you are." If anyone was a decent liar, it was definitely Courtney. Rebecca sat back in her chair, pressing the cards in her hand against her chest. "Want to bet on it?" Danielle finally smiled, taking a peek down at her own cards. She had a pretty good hand. She had two pairs. It wasn't like she had no hope in hell, so she wasn't too worried. "Fine." Rebecca glanced between her two friends, lips pursed. She, herself, had a Royal Flush. She knew that she probably had the best hand. "You two do that. I'm just going to sit back and relax..." She dug into the chip bag beside her, eyebrows wiggling toward her best friends. Courtney shook her head. "Alright then. What are you putting down, Danny?"

Her tongue prodded her cheek as she glanced around the room. She didn't have important items. Most of the stuff she owned was just necessities, other than that stupid mug she stole from her dad. Though it brought back fairly bad memories, she still kept it stowed away in the back of her cupboard. It was a piece of her original home life that she could keep with her. "What about my new boots?" she asked. "I haven't even worn them yet." Her fingers drummed against the table top as both Courtney and Rebecca shared a look. They both could use a new pair of shoes, especially for nights out. Courtney shrugged nonchalantly, easily hiding her excitement while the girl beside her only grinned.

"Then I bet those," Danielle concluded. Courtney clapped her hands, joyously laughing at the high stakes. A light beamed from her icy blue eyes. Once she had bet, it was time to flip their cards over. Danielle went first. Two pairs, two Kings and eights. Courtney's giggles worsened. Hurriedly, she flipped over her own cards. A full house. Danielle pouted, a bit discouraged that she had lost her shoes, but it was all in fun. She clapped for their friend. "Your turn," the blonde said, her words directed at their silent friend. Rebecca sighed defeatedly. Her head shook as she flipped over her cards, only to surprise the other two with a Royal Flush. Both Courtney and Danielle gasped in surprise.

A proud smile broadened across Rebecca's face. "I know," she sighed. "I'm a wizard. I'm amazing. I'm the best." Danielle picked up her cards and threw them at the arrogant girl, light laughter ringing in the air. Courtney followed suit, playfully booing their friend. "Don't hate the player!" Rebecca exclaimed. "Hate the game! Or, you know, God or something." Rebecca picked up Courtney's necklace, thumbing the silver chain. Without hesitation, she slid it back onto Courtney's side of the table. She didn't want that, not when it was so important to the blonde. Danielle watched, a hopeful glint filling her eyes. "Wait, does that mean I can get my shoes back?"