bookstore • spencer reid (fluff)

Spencer x Reader

Warnings: None

It all started when his usual used bookstore closed for renovations, which was slightly more than an inconvenience seeing as the second closest used book store was a 30 minute drive away. He'd finished work early one day and decided it was time to stock up on some books to last him a week.

He got to the store about an hour before closing, just enough time to browse the shelves and see what this place had to offer, on the outside it looked bigger than his usual store which he thought could be a good thing considering his ability to fly through books at such a fast pace.

A small bell rang as he entered the store, the door that was slightly stiff with age closing behind him, there was one person at the desk who he assumed was the owner, they shared a quick smile as an acknowledgment of the presence of each other before returning back their original tasks. Spencer set out to find a copy of IT by Stephen King, Garcia had made them watch the movie at their last BAU movie night and it had sparked his intrigue to reread the novel.

The store wasn't difficult to navigate and he easily found his way to where the book should have been, except it wasn't there. He had called ahead earlier to confirm they had it to avoid a wasted trip. He quickly turned the corner to go and ask the person at the desk what had happened to the copy when he saw her.

Now truthfully, Spencer didn't think he believed in love at first sight... until he saw her. Tucked away in the corner, wearing a beautiful yellow dress paired with a pair of yellow converse, she looked ethereal and Spencer almost forgot where he was and what he was doing. But then he saw it, no literally IT...the book he needed sitting in her lap and currently the owner of her attention.

Just as he was about to approach her to question her about the book, he saw her check her phone and sigh before getting up to put the book away. Spencer couldn't help but watch her as she collected her things and prepared to leave, he wanted so desperately to stop her, ask her her name or even about the book. He just stood there frozen, pretending to look at the shelf of books.

"Are you lost?" He heard a small voice pipe up shaking him out of his trance, quickly turning around to see you looking up at him with wide eyes. "I know this store pretty well, I could help you find what you're looking for."

He stared at you for a few seconds before clearing his throat, "Uh no I'm ok thank you." He regretted it the minute he said it, here you were offering to help him, to spend time with him and he had said no.

"Oh, ok, I hope you find what you're looking for then!" The girl said, giving Spencer a wide grin. "This store has an amazing collection of works, I've been coming here for years although I never buy anything, I prefer to sit here and...," She paused when she saw Spencer staring at her, she grinned sheepishly and pushed a strand of hair out of her face, "and I'm rambling I'm so sorry."

"I-its fine, it's nice to see I'm not the only one who appreciates the vibe of bookstores, and I'm the worst when it comes to rambling I could talk for hours, my friends hate it when I start to go off on a tangent..." Now it was his turn to grin sheepishly, "as I'm doing right now." He finished.

The girl giggled and looked up at him before saying, "You're cute," Her face quickly matching his in flushing red when she realised what she had said, "oh my god I'm so sorry I didn't mean to say that out loud.

Spencer thought he'd died and gone to heaven. "No it's fine, thank you." He hated how awkward he was, why couldn't he be more like Derek with his smooth pick up lines and charms, maybe if he was less him he might've had the courage to continue the conversation and get her number, but no all he did was smile at her .