Chapter 2: Held Hostage in a Coffee Shop

Cover art by: silhouette_artizit on Instagram

The apartment building I live in is pretty quiet, the floor I live on has almost nobody living on it which is why it's my ideal living space. Thanks to the sparce company, I can get away with most of the stuff I get up to. Tuning up weapons, 3D printing gadgets, making stuff and other activities that'd make noise. I rage pretty hard when I game too, so maybe it's good that I don't have direct neighbors that are forced to listen to me cuss and scream when I pick up the controller.

I pocketed my keys and walked out of my secure apartment left in chaos from the sudden assault of the coffee pot. The door let out the assuring click that it was locked before I turned on my heel and walked out down the hall to the elevator. Where I live wearing masks can sometimes be a common thing, I usually wear a gas mask but I usually result to a classic black cloth mask when I go out in public.

Today's fashion choice was my cloth black mask, but I chose to put on a Gothic leather muzzle over the mask to match my shirt. As much was I was a slug getting out of bed this morning and grabbing what little I could reach to wear as an outfit, I do sometimes have a decent sense of style.

I made it to the standard twin elevators at the end of the hallway and hit the button to call my ride to the lobby floor. It wasn't a long wait because it was a pretty early morning, early enough that not a lot of people were awake. Especially not on a Sunday morning when people chose to sleep in.

The elevator doors slid open with a subtle metallic thud sound as the entrance to the box of transportation stood there exposed. I walked in and clicked the button to be taken to the lobby floor and pressed the button to close the doors immediately because I get way too anxious in small spaces with strangers.

If there's one scenario I like to avoid the most it's the awkward silence of being stuck in a small space with a complete stranger, like when one of my neighbors steps in with me in the elevator.I do not wanna talk about what happened to the last guy that wanted to start a conversation with me in the elevator out of boredom.

The doors slid shut and the gravity of the room became weaker as the descent began. This is the time I take to make sure I had everything I'd need for the little trip to the cafe and after a quick self pat-down I came to the conclusion that I managed to grab just about everything I needed.

Mask strapped, bag packed and rage stacked, I waited for the elevator to stop and allow me to walk out into the building's lobby. As the doors slid open and I stepped out, the looming stares of the other early risers in the building burned into me. Of course I stuck out like a sore thumb among these people. Where I live it's normal for people to have dramatic mutations, tails, horns, gills and spikes but for some reason I peak the attention of everyone in my vicinity no matter where I go.

It gets annoying.

I stepped out of the doors and looked down at my phone. I opened my notepad app to find the code I used to store my roller skates, found it, and coded them right onto my feet. I've used my quirk in public before, it doesn't surprise that many people. To make things easier on my memory for my codes, I give most of my stored and manifested items names. My roller skates are named Blitz.

Strapped in and ready to roll I strided slowly, the pavement making a semi-smooth surface for me to glide my way to the cafe.

It was a pretty sunny day, despite the sun barely beginning to rise. The sky was painted a dark blue color, with the horizon slowly seeping through morning shades of yellow, pink and orange to brighten up the passing night sky. There were only a few clouds, and the sun wasn't up high enough for it to hurt my eyes to look at it. Surprisingly peaceful, might take inspiration from this for a drawing later, my laptop's in need of an upgraded live background.