22. Darkness is about to Pass

Garcia raised her hands up, her third glass of spiced sangria high in the air. "Again, please, if you would all be so kind," she requested.

You rolled your eyes as JJ laughed and Prentiss sighed. In unison, the three of you reiterated with varying levels of enthusiasm, "Penelope Garcia is the backbone of the FBI."

She grinned and took another deep sip. "And don't any of you forget it!" Then, she leaned back in her seat with a sigh and added, "You know, I really like 'Appreciate Penelope Garcia Night'."

"I propose we make a week of it," you quipped, and Garcia's smile widened as she held her glass up to yours. You clinked your glasses together while JJ and Prentiss laughed to themselves.

As per Garcia's request after missing out on the vineyard wedding case, you, JJ, and Prentiss were treating her to dinner and drinks. And after the garbage week that you'd had, you were glad to have a night out with them, even if your mind was still stuck on Samantha Lark's disappearance.

Preston had essentially told you that neither of you could be involved in tracking down Samantha Lark. You shouldn't have been surprised; you weren't supposed you know of her existence in the first place, but after the terrible night you'd had, with guilt still weighing heavily in your mind, you'd nearly burst into tears of frustration in the middle of the ViCAP office, which would have been just as embarrassing as it was out-of-character for you.

You were just missing something. You knew you were, but you just weren't smart enough to figure out what it was. And after two years of dead-ends and disappearances and failure, you were struggling with all of the factors now out of your control. You couldn't help Maryanne undercover. You couldn't present another solid lead to Boucher and ask for bureau resources. You couldn't even help Anti-Trafficking and WitSec to find Samantha Lark.

You were useless, again. Unable to help, again. Forced to watch without being able to take real action, again.

It was making you restless, and it stirred that long-borne darkness in you. Poked at the beast. Dared you to explode.

So keeping your mind busy and distracted was the only thing that you could really do, and fortunately for you, between Spencer and this night out with the ladies, you had your fair share of comforts.

But the night was coming to a close, with the four of you having finished your desserts and on your last drinks at the restaurant. Prentiss waved your waiter down and signalled for the check. Once he dropped it off at your table, Prentiss tossed her credit card into the receipt dish along with yours and JJ's before standing up with a quiet groan.

"I'm heading to the restroom before we head out," she announced.

Garcia immediately perked up again. "Oh, I'll come with you!" And at Emily's raised brows at her enthusiasm, Garcia unsubtly nudged JJ with urgency as she stood from her seat as well. "Buddy system, you know? Can't be too safe," she added while tossing a look of feigned innocence to you. "There'll probably be a line, too. It might take a few." And then she all but dragged Prentiss away towards the restrooms.

You and JJ shared a look and a quiet laugh.

You rarely spent time with her by yourself, her perhaps less than Garcia or Prentiss. Even on cases you were seldom paired together.

But you shrugged and nodded your head towards her. "What was that about?" you asked, referencing Garcia's obvious attempt to leave the two of you alone.

JJ's eyes fluttered shut as she breathed a laugh to herself, dropping her head. "Yeah, you know Penelope. She's the world's least subtle person."

"Agreed."