Chapter 8 - Saved

Stage: Me - Cards: ac110807
- Chapter 8 - Saving Stage -
Warning: Soaking, Abuse
Third Person POV

Cards paces the living room of the Manhattan Lodging House.

Her hands were in her hair, pulling almost hard enough to rip the hair out of her head, but she wasn't gonna do that.

"I don't care how dangerous it is. If we don't start going to get her, I'm gonna storm into the Refuge myself" Cards snaps. She was frustrated.

Getting people out of the Refuge was not easy. Ask anyone who's been in there before, they'll tell you that.

"Cards, we need you to calm down. We're gonna save Stage, but we can't just stomp into the Refuge. We have to be sneaky" Jack calmly tells Cards, trying to calm her down.

"I get it Jack! But Stage has already been in the Refuge before, and she can't survive it long again. Crutchie's in there, I get it, but Crutchie is stronger than Stage. He can survive for a little bit until we can get him out. Stage can't..." Cards trails off. "How would you feel, Spot, if Race was in the Refuge? How about you Davey, if Les was there? You Blink, if Mush was there? And I know, two out of those three people could survive, but think about Les, Lucky, Tumbler. Heck, I'm pretty sure Tumbler would be fine in there for longer than Stage, if, and only if, he had Skittery."

At the end of Cards rant, everyone was silent, and Cards was biting her lip to stop her from crying.

Stage is her best friend, her sister. She couldn't let something happen to her.

Spot sighs. "Fine. Come on, if we want to do this, we have to do it now. Guards change at 1am, and it'll take us fifteen minutes to get there."

He points to the clock. It said 12:30am. They had a few extra minutes, but they needed that in case they ran into a problem.

Cards nods, along with everyone else. Cards, Spot, Ace, Smokes, Jack, Specs, and Race was going.

At the Refuge

Stage laid on top of Crutchie, where she always was unless she was getting beaten by the Delanceys or someone.

She didn't talk. At all.

The only sound that Crutchie and the other kids in the Refuge heard from her were soft sobs and whimpers.

Stage hadn't eaten since before the fight, and two days had past.

Crutchie was getting worried, to say the least.

Stage didn't sleep either.

If she did 'sleep', she was half conscious, still a bit aware of her surroundings while she cried, and half unconscious.

She rarely stopped crying. She was scared, Crutchie knew that, and she was worried she'd have nightmares.

Crutchie was in his playing with Stage's hair, trying to calm her down or even get her to fall asleep once, when there was a knock on the 'window'.

Crutchie turned to look at the other kids, who were quietly playing games. They shrugged, and one of them, Scratch, walked over to the window.