v.

The first weekend in October was always wonderful —starting in her third year, really— as it brought with it the first Hogsmeade visit of the year. Sixteen-year-old Zara was still as enthusiastic about the village shops and venues as her thirteen-year-old self, with the lights, the shop windows, the snow decorating the rooftops, and the irresistible idea of ​​having a butterbeer for the first time in so long. That continued to fill her with illusion.

She had decided to do the excursion with Alicia and Katie, who had invited her with a smile on their faces, but Zara knew what was behind it: it would be the first time she would go without Cedric and the two Gryffindors just wanted to make the experience as nice as possible for her. So Zara, really appreciating their good intentions, had agreed, claiming that she could buy some sweets and also parchments for her classes and to write back to her parents.

And it was that her mother had written to her that same week, updating her on what was happening on the other side of the island. Her father and mother had left Grimmauld Place shortly after the children returned to Hogwarts, since the Order's meetings had been less frequent and each family had to go back to their chores. Julia had recounted how Thomas had more tasks than usual at the Ministry, sharing a department with Arthur, one of the reasons they were so close to the Weasleys. Zara had frowned, knowing there was probably more that her mother wasn't telling her.

"I'm sure this has something to do with Umbridge being here," She had grunted to herself.

However, she had decided not to worry too much. If it was something serious, she was sure they would have told her by now. Or maybe Sirius, who seemed to be completely honest with her.

The three Gryffindors were chatting animatedly as they passed Angelina Johnson and three other last year girls. The captain of the Quidditch team approached them, her gaze on Zara. "Long time no see, Markey. I was surprised when you didn't show up to the Chaser try outs."

Zara shrugged. "Can't fail anymore, Angie. I will try out next year, though."

"That's too long! I won't even be here anymore."

"Don't pull the Oliver card on us, Angelina!" Laughed Alice. "You will be our captain forever in our hearts."

The older one shot a glare at the girl, who raised her hands in surrender. Angelina said goodbye to her other friends and headed with them to Hog's Head, where they had arranged to meet Harry, Ron and Hermione.

None of the other three Gryffindors could deny that the idea had seemed a bit far-fetched at first —meeting in that dilapidated pub, putting themselves in danger like that with Umbridge in the castle— but they had reasoned and the truth was that someone like Harry being able to teach them to defend themselves properly made them feel better about their future.

"I think I'm going to name Harry captain when I leave, the kid's got balls —shouting You-Know-Who is back, confronting Umbridge that way, being still alive after everything he's been through."

"So you believe him?" Zara couldn't help but whisper: Harry's topic was somewhat sensitive. Part of the castle believed him, the other didn't, and it was hard for Zara to tell who her allies were from her opponents.

Angelina looked at her. "'Course I do. A kid doesn't die accidentally."

If Zara liked something about Angelina, it was she was extremely sincere and straightforward. If she thought something, she said it, no matter how people took it. For that reason, the incipient lump in her throat that appeared immediately when talking about Cedric disappeared little by little; because she knew Angelina didn't mean it with bad intentions.

When the four girls took a look around the premises, none could help but show their displeasure. This place was very different from the Three Broomsticks, usually warm, with a constant noise of jugs colliding and children laughing; while Hog's Head was dark, gloomy, needed a good cleaning, and where suspicious people gathered at the bar, which was run by a tall and thin-looking man, with long white beard like his hair.