Chapter 6

Femi's dead.

She fell, and her body is crushed beyond recognition.

"It's not our fault! We didn't do anything, we just-"

This time, a guy sob the words. Although, he is right, we didn't do anything at all. We just watched.... Watched when she was hanging by a finger, we just watched when she beg us for help, we just watched till she fell and her body exploded from the fall.

Again, we didn't do anything.

"Isn't this better?" Elise stated, so calm it become suspicious. "With her gone, we'll no longer be wary of each other" she bite off from a chocolate bar, her loud chewing fills the air but it became heavy with awkwardness.

"What are you doing?" Christine's brows furrows. However, Elise did not answer till she swallowed down the entire bar.

"Eating?" she happily answered as she scurries her pouch, and for a moment, just for this little moment, we forgot about the responsibility of witnessing death.

Another batch of candy wrappers whistles the area, but this time everyone ignored it. I share their obvious opinions, other than our frantic breaths, it is better to cloud our minds from the absence of two people.

Christine turns to her back, then she drop down to a nearby tree as if she already surrenders from such responsibility. No, I should not think like that, if that happens we will all lose hope, and to just watch as the victim died is a crime worthy to be thrown to jail.

We will think of a way.

A tiny sound whispers from the back of my ears, I turn around but I only see darkness which hides within the omnimous trees. There was nothing, not even a shadow of a moving man. Then to my left, right, then to my front, this sound like a sharp bell moving along the air, yet nothing, I see nothing.

I ignore it, trying to compose myself. I will hide myself, to be discreet as possible that in this crowd of lurking eyes, I become a figure of innocence. So, I won't give them an idea to question my rationality.

A loud static exploded in my ears, I tried to cover them with my hands but it's sharp sound still penerated my brain.  My classmates! They must have think I'm insane to be in pain from nothing, to be deafen by the whispers of trees and wind. They will doubt me, question my sanity, they will suspect me. I strive to heave a painful gasp and peek onto the surrounding, and a thought rises beyond the persisting pain, I will ask help even with their obscure sincerity.

The area is not what I expected, they were the opposite of what I believed. Instead of suspecting and judging eyes to stare at me, I see pain, the same pain I felt. I witness them struggling to hide from this ear splitting shrill of the unknown. Some are scratching their ears, and some are banging their head. The area is a mess, full of terror, the screams felt like war but we are our own enemy. To fight ourselves is to end the pain. The shrill did not stop, once they were from my left, then in a second it move to my right, then suddenly, this ring buzzes from my wrist.

It's the bracelet!

The light metal is shining under the moonlight, smiling, as if it dares me to remove him. I tried to slip it out, but it did not budge, it is obvious when something is designed like a tiny cloth of metal hugging our wrist like a second skin.