056 | sour candy and gunpowder

▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬

"YOU SEEM TIRED."

Albany nearly chuckled at the concerned remark from Carly as the French girl walked her to Potions class that morning. They had just come from breakfast, which for Albany had been a single black coffee that was still unsuccessful in fully waking herself up. As the twins were attempting to squeeze in a few pranks before class, the girls had decided to take a leisurely stroll through the more picturesque halls of the castle.

"I am tired," she agreed after a moment, and then yawned at the thought. "Maybe I should've had a second coffee."

"I could never drink that much caffeine," Carly laughed, tinkering with her Gameboy as they walked. "I would have so much energy I'd go crazy!"

Albany smiled. "Yeah, usually it would wake me up a bit. I guess this whole tournament thing is more exhausting than I thought," she said. Carly's eyebrows furrowed in concern, and she promptly changed the subject before any further worries could be voiced. "I haven't seen you work on that thing in a while."

The remark was successful in its goal, and Carly's expression lightened as she returned her focus to the device in her hands.

"I got distracted by other things, I guess," she admitted with a sheepish smile. "Happens pretty often. But I'm determined to finish it eventually!"

"What are you planning on doing with it when it's done?"

Carly shrugged nonchalantly. "You'll have to see."

"Very vague answer," Albany teased.

Carly flushed. "It's a surprise," she said, eyes glued to the gadget.

"Oh?"

"Yes," the curly-haired girl said firmly. "C'est tout."

"That's all?" Albany echoed, and Carly glanced up in surprise.

"You understood?"

Albany grinned. "I do remember a little bit from those lessons you gave me."

Carly positively beamed at her. "I didn't realise you were paying attention," she admitted with a pleased smile. "Since that was when George...."

"Was under a spell," Albany finished, smile fading at the memory. Thank Merlin we got him back.

"I could give you more lessons, if you wanted," Carly enthused. "Since there's a while until the next task. Though, if you're too tired...."

"No, no, I'm fine," Albany insisted, waving off the girl's worries. She grinned down at her. "I'd love to."