02 | aquila

COLD

COLD. Death felt cold.

Or so he thought.

It took him a few seconds, but Axel realized something that should've been ordinarily impossible. Among the hazy thoughts and feelings in his head, a distinct confusion stood out.

It shouldn't have been possible. He had lost blood, way too much blood- but he was still breathing.

His senses were dulled, the world around him felt numb and the throbbing ache in his bullet-ridden abdomen was muted, but it was present, nevertheless- and he was still alive.

There was something else this time, however.

Something cold, but with a gentle thrum of energy. There was a faint tingling erupting from his cheeks- sending buzzing life down his spine, almost as if it was keeping him alive.

His mind seemed to bring another thing to his notice past the fuzziness.

A burning, bright light behind his eyelids. It was the kind of feeling you'd experience when you looked up at the sun, with your eyes closed- where you were surrounded by a certain dazzling warmth.

Slowly, his eyes fluttered open.

Huh?

For a few seconds, only another wave of confusion engulfed his mind. All he could do was squint at the brilliant light flooding his vision.

But when he did see the source of the light, the only thought that instantly popped up in his head was,

Oh, I'm really dead.

Leaning above him, was a woman. He wasn't even sure he could call her that because she looked unreal- with a remarkable, almost startling resemblance to sculpted statues of the Greek Gods.

Heck, for a few moments he wasn't even sure if she was real, but he knew he could feel her icy touch on his skin. Her hand was extended towards him, gently touching his cheek and sending tingling energy throughout his sprawled figure. 

Unbeknownst to him, that was the very thing keeping him alive. Her energy.

His vision was still hazy, blurring in and out of focus- but god, she was beautiful- he could tell that much. Even past his blurred sight, he could make out a distinct aristocratic nose, a rosy cupid's bow as her lips, and a pair of glowing green emeralds looking back at him, switching between his own eyes, softening with something akin pity.

But the one thing, that seemed most definitely unreal- was a pair of radiant golden wings, gleaming against the backdrop of the night sky resting on her shoulders.

An angel.

Holy fucking sh-

Maybe he was imagining it.