9 ~ The Owlery

You paid no heed to Remus's personal business after that. The next month, February, when he was talking with you about visiting his mother again, you were happy to keep to yourself.

"Are you sure?" You asked, noticing the dark circles under his eyes. "You don't look so well."

"He's looked like that quite often," said Peter, who was sitting across from you. "I don't think he's sleeping well."

"I'm sleeping perfectly fine!" Remus snapped.

You glanced over at Peter, who scooted his pillow stool closer to your end of the circular table. Remus 'tch'ed and looked down to the maroon table cloth.

"I'm just worried, is all. It happens every month."

You nodded, telling him it didn't bother you, and began to unpack your bag onto the table. Class was sure to start any minute, most Ravenclaws and Gryffindors had found a place to sit by now and were looking curiously at their star-charts. It was rare to have an astronomy class where you were only studying this late in the year rather than peering through your telescopes.

"What are you doing?"

You turned at the snooty voice only to see two of your least favorite people standing behind you. James was tilting his head to the side, his uniform intentionally a mess, and Sirius was behind him chatting up Janet Kipo who seemed uncomfortable. You couldn't blame her, Sirius was both annoying and twelve.

"Getting out my stuff," you answered. "You should go sit down, class is about to start."

"That's what I'm trying to do," he answered. "Get out of my seat."

You, breathing deeply, tried to maintain composure as you always did. You would like to think you were a sassy badass, but in reality you really did try to be nice to everyone(who deserved it).

"I got here first, please leave me alone, James."

"I will if you get out of my seat!"

"James, come on," Remus said, taking out his quill(you were happy to see it was the one you had given him). "We don't need to sit together every class."

"We can sit at a table in Potions!" Peter recommended it happily. "It - it could be fun."

You, happy to see they were avoiding conflict, were ready to simply get to work. You just wanted to sit with your friends, was that too much?

"(Y/n), do you want to sit with us?"

You looked up next to Idiots One and Two. Severus was standing there, pointing to a table on the other end of the room. Maddie and Lily were sitting together, talking happily over a painting of Jupiter and its many moons.

"Yeah, go sit with Snivellus!" Chimed Sirius, who had been shamelessly denied by Janet. "At least you've got one real friend, even if he is a dark wizard."

"I am not," Answered Sev. "But I am a much better wizard than the pair of you fools combined."

"Shut it." Said James, flopping into the seat you had stood from. "I can't see why Evans would hang around someone so ugly. Why don't you put in a good word for me, (Y/n)? Someday soon I may be visiting your dorm!"

"She would sooner hex you," you answered, walking away. You looked sadly at Severus, mumbling a thank you as you sat with your other friends.

"Why must they be so rude?" Asked Maddie, who was exasperated despite rarely talking to them. Most students knew about James and Sirius, who caused nothing but issues by jabbering on to the teachers and hitting on every girl they saw, (save you, which you were eternally grateful for).