29. Cram

29. Cram

"There are no shortcuts in Language tests," Nao declared, setting a hand on the blackboard.

The words FINALS were written large and rough on the board.

"Just practice and read and practice and read. Even then, there's always a chance you'll lose points by misunderstanding a purposefully vague question phrasing, so you know what's the catch in all this?"

The students held their breaths.

"Easy. It's Luck," Nao said almost anticlimactically.

A good deal of students simultaneously face-faulted.

He continued talking, unfazed by their disappointed reactions, "exam questions are assholes. And how do you deal with assholes?" he pointed sharply at Terasaka, "you! Answer me."

Terasaka sat there, stunned for a moment. Then, "uh. You punch them?"

"Exactly," Nao's answer erected a series of horrified gasps across the classroom, including a less subtle one from Korosensei outside. Nao set a stack of papers on the table. "Break it down, pick it apart. Draw your swords and stab it until it's full of holes."

He passed the papers to be distributed. Fuwa made a terrified noise when she realized it was a stack per person, not a piece per person.

"At the end of the day, a paper full of nonsense is better than a paper that's empty," he told them as they began to skim the questions. "You force your way through enough of these and you'll instinctively know how to stab in the correct ways. That's the beauty of language-- everything can go to hell, because violence is the way to go."

Startling silence.

Then Karma whistled, "best. Teacher. Ever."

-

There's one constantly repeated rule in Kunugigaoka that isn't enforced, but highly encouraged. It's not part of the A to E class tyranny system-- it's a law passed down as 'common sense' through the school year.

"If you have any questions for Language subjects, you ask me-- the teacher in charge of your class-- and never anyone else."

Honestly, it's a classic policy. Many more schools should have it in their code, in Nao's honest opinion.

The idea behind it is simple-- every teacher teaches differently, so if you get advice from another teacher, their supposed 'shortcuts' won't be congruent with everything else you've learned. This only applies to Language subjects, however.