C H A P T E R 32

[32]

A L A S K A

"Calm down, Sky

"Calm down, Sky. He's gonna be fine." Xavier reassured as he rubbed soothing circles on my back.

"Faster, Max! Faster!" I exclaimed, ignoring Xav.

The only thing on my mind was Leo's pained expression when he took the bullet for me. It was like a broken record player, playing over and over again in my mind. My palms were sweaty from all the anxiety and the fear of losing one of the most important people in my life and on top of that it was because of me. If I had just moved out of the way, if I had ducked, if I had done anything then Leo wouldn't have had to play hero.

I'm so angry at him. But mostly at myself. If only...if only...

"We're here." Max breathed out. I jumped out of the car in an instant, ignoring the few other black cars that parked right behind Max's one. They were probably my family or whatever. I I didn't really pay attention to it as I bolted trough the doors and ran down the hallway. Everything was white, just like the last time I was here. It was plain and boring. The smell was still the same old gross scent of disinfectants and cleaning products.

"How can I help you?" an elderly woman around the age of 50 years asked me with a kind smile resting on her face, her hair tucked behind her ear and her chin resting on her folded hands.

"Leonid Ivanov. I need to see him!" I urged, looking at her with a pleading look.

She glanced at the computer and then back at me.

"He's in the ICU, but you can't-" I didn't let her finish and ran off into the direction of where I believed was the ICU.

Last time I was here I saw it when I passed by. On the opposite of it were some restrooms and next to it was a small waiting area. When I rounded the corner I finally spotted the double glass doors, with 'ICU' written on them, that I was looking for.

"Excuse me, can I help you?" a man with a clipboard asked as he approached me. I glanced around the room and when I didn't see Leonid I started to panic again. Maybe he was already in there.

"Emergency Patient! Emergency!" someone suddenly yelled from the other end of the hallway, which made my head snap towards it.

My stomach dropped when I saw the paramedics run into my direction with Leonid lying on a hospital bed. He was attached to some weird looking machine that was beeping uncontrollably and the green lights on it showed a diagonal line. That didn't mean anything good, right? That was some heart monitor or something, so there should be movement and not just a line...Oh god, he's having a cardiac arrest, isn't he?