Chapter 5

The next morning, I put on a gray skirt and a faded purple flannel. Today, I decided to tie my black hair into a low ponytail with a red ribbon. And now Elmer and I are at the counter with the boys awaiting the headline. The Delancey's had forgotten to close the gate last night. 

"Man, them fire sirens kept me awake all night." Racetrack sighed.

"Sirens are like lullabies to me." Mush chirped. "The louder they wail, the better the head line. The better the headline, the better I eat. And the better I eat--"

"The further away from you I sleep." Race finished, earning a few laughs. Les scampered into the Square.

"Hey fellas!" He beamed. "How's it goin' today?"

"Ask me after they put up the headline." Romeo scoffed. 

"Here it comes now." Les declared. All the boys gathered around to see.

"'New Newsie price.'" I read.

"60 cents per hundred?" Elmer exclaimed.

"Is that news?" Davey asked.

"It is to me!" 

"They jacked up the price of papes, 10 cents more 100!"

"I could eat two days on a dime!"

"I'll be sleepin' on the street." Crutchie gasped. Jojo looked at him.

"You already sleep on the street." He reminded him.

"In a worse neighborhood." The cripple added, not shifting his eyes from the board as Jack approached. Elmer and I were both staring in horror.

"All right, what are you all waitin' around here for?" Jack demanded.

"Hey Jack, get a load of this!" Crutchie pointed.

"Like Pulitzer don't make enough already!" Romeo shouted.

"Papes for the Newsies!" Mr. Weisel called. Only Jack moved to the counter.

"Hey relax, it's gotta be a gag." Jack scoffed. "Good joke, Weasel, you really had the fellas going. I'll take a hundred, be on my way."

We all lined up behind Jack. I was behind Elmer, who was standing behind Jack. Crutchie was behind me.

"A hundred'll cost you 60." Weasel grinned. Shouts broke out from the line.

"I ain't payin' no sixty." Jack told him.

"Well then, make way for someone who will." Weasel ordered.

"You bet!" Jack exclaimed, picking up his money. "Me and the fellas will go take a hike over to The Journal."

Specs stopped us as we began to disperse.

"I'll save you the walk." He said. "They upped their price too."

"Then we'll take our business to The Sun!" Jack decided.

"Same all around town." Weasel shouted. "Today, new price."

"Hey, why the jack-up?" Jack demanded. Crutchie's brow hasn't unfurrowed since he laid eyes on the headline.

"For them kind of answers, you gotta ask further up the food chain." Weasel shrugged. "So, are you buyin' or movin' on?"

The Newsies watched intently as Jack pounded his fists onto the block and stormed to the wagon. He almost walked right into me, blinded by rage. Crutchie pulled me out of the way, earning a puzzled look from Elmer.

"Come here, fellas." Jack ordered, sitting down. "Get over here."

"They can't just do that, can they?" Ike demanded.