41| owen

“It's okay not to be okay as long as you don't give up hope that there's still something out there for you. After all, hope doesn't abandon you; you abandon hope.”

- mirpieps2001

41| owen

“I broke his heart?” I say, looking up.

“Yes, you broke his heart,” Owen says. “And you know that.”

I feel hurt by Owen’s words. Never in my life will I ever think of hurting that person, even now when I know he has hurt me the most. He had wounded me so badly that I don’t think those will ever go away.

I will never hurt Oliver, even in my nightmares, even if I turn into a monster.

“Why did you do this?” Owen pleads.

I press my eyes shut. My tears travel down my cheeks.

“He was the one who did it,” I say. I am in so much pain that I think my heart is breaking all over again. “He was the one who broke my heart.”

Owen shakes his head. “Oliver would never do that.”

I don’t reply.

“Don’t you know him? How can you even think he will do that to you?” Owen asks.

I look at him as my tears stream down my cheeks. “I used to think the same.” My voice cracks. “But I was wrong and so are you.”

I wipe my tears. I will leave now. There is nothing left to say.

“Gwen,” Owen says. “What did he do? Please tell me.”

I shake my head.

“Please. I promise you will never have to see me again. I promise I won’t ask you anything again. Just tell me, what the hell did my brother do to deserve this?” Owen says.

I swallow. My throat hurts so bad.

I try to control my tears. I thought I was getting better. But it’s like a circle. I am never okay.

“I saw him with someone else,” I say.

“What?” Owen says, surprised, like he can’t believe it.

I don’t say anything else. I am done here.

“He was with someone else?” Owen says again. “Who was he with?”

I glare at Owen. I had had enough.

“Gwen, no, I don’t get what you’re talking about,” Owen says with his eyebrows furrowed.

“I think you do,” I say.

“You are trying to tell me that Oliver cheated on you?” Owen asks with his eyes full with disbelief.

I glance away.

“Gwen, you do know that it’s Oliver we are talking about,” Owen says. “Oliver, who doesn’t even look at people or talk to them. Oliver, whom I think has never even noticed there are other girls on this planet ever since he has known you.”

“I saw it,” I say, holding back my tears. “Are you telling me not to believe my own eyes?”

Owen shakes his head.  “How? How?”

He paces in the room. “Gwen, he loves you. You know that, right?”

I turn towards the door. I am leaving.