Chapter 2

Aylee slowly started to regain consciousness by an annoying occurrence. She squinted one eye open to find the culprit turned out to be a pesky sunbeam that had landed on her face. The woman huffed out a breath in annoyance before she threw her forearm up to cover her unprotected eyes. But, it didn't do much in helping her go back to sleep. With her mind more awake now, Aylee suddenly became aware of a warm presence laid next to her in the bed.

She peeled open her tired eyelids, fully this time, and looked down lazily next to her. Wrapped up in her arms was an unexpected but not entirely unwelcome sight, little Shoto. He looked so at peace when asleep underneath the fleece blanket that she always used instead of a comforter. While she may not know how he normally acts at his real age, in his current physical state, Aylee noticed his abnormal shy and somewhat fearful behavior. Her brow furrowed in deep concern at the road her thoughts had turned to. She tried to shake off the negativity and reminded herself that trauma and shock could also be the major contributors to his withdrawn behavior. "Hopefully, I am worrying over nothing," the brunette thought briefly while shutting that door closed for now.

Sudden movement next to her caught her full attention as mismatched blue and grey eyes slowly blinked themselves open. Aylee gave Shoto the brightest smile she could at seven in the morning and he sleepily returned it.

"Are you ready to go back to UA today? I'm sure your classmates and teachers have missed you!" She wouldn't admit it but, the enthusiasm in her voice was a bit forced.  Aylee hadn't realized how much she had missed taking care of children and the rewards that come along with every single one of the child's development.  Their journey through life was a privilege to watch and to be a part of.

While the red and white-haired boy didn't give a verbal response, he did snuggle himself further into her warm side. Aylee let out a tiny chuckle at the cute action and reached her hand towards his head to ruffle his hair with a fond smile.  After a couple of seconds, she abruptly stopped her gentle actions and felt a burst of energy rush through her body.

"Alright! Time to get up!"

She picked him up from the bed and raised his small body towards the high ceiling. The 3-year-old immediately burst into peals of laughter and his fists stretched up towards the ceiling, most likely trying to touch it. Aylee began to laugh along with him after getting his spirits and energy up. Settling Shoto back on her hip, she walked him back into her living room and to the toy corner. Gently, she placed him on the floor and handed him a toy to preoccupy himself. Toy in hand, he tilted his head back and stared at her face intently without emotion.

"I have to make a call real quick before we can get dressed. Are you going to be ok?" She stated this question as calmly and reassuring as she could to the toddler.

The boy didn't acknowledge her question and turned his attention back to the toys surrounding him. Aylee patiently waited for a reaction from him that would let her know that he was fine. Shoto picked up the small toy polar bear and proceeded to do what every toddler does with new toys. He shoved it in his mouth. Thankfully, it was too big to be considered a choking hazard. It seemed to pass his test and gain his approval because Shoto removed the bear from his mouth and started to play with it a little.

She straightened from her crouch and walked across the room to where her phone was finished charging. Based on the time, the woman noted that it was a tad too early for one of the officer's check-in. She glanced at the busy toddler and decided to make a call, directly to the source.  Shoto's life was vital and he needed to get help right now, not in a couple of hours.  With her decision finally made, she dialled the correct numbers and waited on bated breath while it rang.

"Hello. This is the automated call system designed to route your calls to the right department. If you would like to schedule a campus tour of UA, press 1. If you are a member of the press looking for a comment or interview with one of our pro hero staff members, press 2. If you are a parent of a student and have questions regarding the safety of your child, press 3. If-"